Grand Poobah

Re: George Lynch tone test

Post by harddriver »

Try a pre-rola greenback like EVH's.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:01 pm Try a pre-rola greenback like EVH's.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

All of the Soundcloud links are not showing up for me. All I get is a grey box with a frowny face and message saying "The connection was Reset"

The same goes for lll's clips as well.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:43 am All of the Soundcloud links are not showing up for me. All I get is a grey box with a frowny face and message saying "The connection was Reset"

The same goes for lll's clips as well.
Just tested the clips.. works fine.

Soundcloud did go down yesterday evening for about an hour.. maybe they had another outage.

Maybe the Jewish space lasers took 'em out.

edit: Just thought of something when I went to listen to one of LLL's clips just now and it was gone..

I had to purge a bunch of clips because Soundcloud was warning me I was at 92% of my free account hosting capacity the other day. I think LLL said the same thing recently.

I deleted about 20 clips to make room for new ones. Prolly left a bunch of broken links here in various threads.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Yeah they are showing up now.

The Lynch clips sound way better than the ones boosted with RAT...they are warmer and less brittle sounding...more Lynchy.

I thought the It's not Love clip sounded the best, nice a thick with alot of crunchy lynchy bite.....nice job.

Does your IR's have a pre-rola early 70's Greenback with the 0014 cone? Lynch is like ED you'll never know exactly what he used... :roll:

Is this your BEOD into your JMC800 again again?

So it wasn't the LASERS then...........
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:09 pm Yeah they are showing up now.

The Lynch clips sound way better than the ones boosted with RAT...they are warmer and less brittle sounding...more Lynchy.

I thought the It's not Love clip sounded the best, nice a thick with alot of crunchy lynchy bite.....nice job.

Does your IR's have a pre-rola early 70's Greenback with the 0014 cone? Lynch is like ED you'll never know exactly what he used... :roll:

Is this your BEOD into your JMC800 again again?

So it wasn't the LASERS then...........
I'm using the "Lynchback" speaker IR's I bought from Celestion last week.

LLL hooked me up with a TON of new cab+speaker IR's this weekend, so I may try some others.

It's the BE-OD clone pedal I built last year, into the front of the JCM-800 with everything on 10 - variac'ed down to 90VAC.

I got as close as I can to that tone with the gear I have, then use the isolated guitar track to create an EQ profile with Fab Filter Q3..
then I run my signal of me playing the riffs into that EQ profile, and tell it to "match EQ". It makes the corrections in real-time. Pretty fuckin' awesome :!:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Can you post the clip without the FABFILTERQ3 eq match? I'd like to hear your real actual tone that you are getting.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:31 pm Can you post the clip without the FABFILTERQ3 eq match? I'd like to hear your real actual tone that you are getting.
:lol:

Just go back and listen to my previous attempts at the George Lynch tone.. that's what it sounds like.

You gotta remember, all these guys ran some sort of EQ in their live rigs: Dime used the Furman PQ-3.

So did Nuno Bettencourt. So did George Lynch. Ed used the Boss GE-10 in his live rig back in the very early days. God only knows what he used once he had some money.

When you start trying to mimic the recorded tone, you're dealing with not only the EQ they used live (which becomes such an integrated part of their tone they refuse to dispense with it - even in the studio) but the array of vintage, sophisticated EQ gear being wielded by a guy who is a fucking 33rd degree wizard at compression, gain staging and EQ.

Don't wanna believe this ? Want to believe these guys stuck an SM-57 in a speaker and got these tones ?

Just take any isolated guitar track from EVH, Nuno, Lynch, Dime and run it through software like Izotope Ozone 6 Equalizer, or Fab Filter Q3, or ReaFir and look at the EQ curve plot. :lol:

If you're trying to do that by ear, you might as well go try to reverse engineer a UFO at Area 51.

Even after having an EQ matching software do the heavy lifting for you, that only gets you about 85% of the way there. You still have problems that you have to correct with another EQ by ear.