Lynch's Tone Isn't One Of My Favorites

lll
Middle Manager

Lynch's Tone Isn't One Of My Favorites

Post by lll »

Have to be honest here... George's tone throughout the years, with perhaps exception to Under Lock And Key was always kinda odd sounding.

His playing, however, is killer.

He used Randall SS amps on the first album

ULAK was supposedly a mish mash of amps including a Laney with umpteen mics

Rumor has it according to Mr. Wagener that Geo's portastudio was used at the tail end of the signal chain

He utilized the Tubescreamer

He always seemed to have this slightly raspy, rounded tone that had the "crunch" and "bite" in the "wrong" freqs.

Sometimes it was even slightly fuzzy.

I dunno... it was less obvious when in the full mix of course, but listen to those ISOs and you hear it.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Re: Lynch's Tone Isn't One Of My Favorites

Post by PLX »

It's funny.. once we get ahold of these isolated guitar tracks, it really becomes obvious that some of these guys' tones only work in the mix.

You take Randy Rhoads or Dimebag's tone and listen to the ISO tracks, and it's just sonically grating.
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Lynch's Tone Isn't One Of My Favorites

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:56 pm It's funny.. once we get ahold of these isolated guitar tracks, it really becomes obvious that some of these guys' tones only work in the mix.

You take Randy Rhoads or Dimebag's tone and listen to the ISO tracks, and it's just sonically grating.
I'd say most guitar tones from a full tune had been sliced up EQ-wise to fit in the mix.

Generally speaking, the guitar is a midrange instrument.

One example is it was very common to hi-pass the low end, so the guitar's low end wouldn't clutter up the kick, bass and other instruments.

In standard tuning, the lowest note is the low E, which is 82.4 Hz. They would hi-pass at 100 Hz or even higher.

Part of making a good, clear mix is to ensure each instrument has its own frequencies carved out.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.