PMD Tone w Jalen FW Pickup

PLX
Executive

Re: PMD Tone w Jalen FW Pickup

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:35 pmThe BE50 didn't exist when Nuno recorded those tones............ :P
That's why Dave Friedman had to invent it.. by stealing all of Jose Arredondo's ideas from Mark Cameron, after Mark Cameron stole them all.

:|
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:44 pm That's why Dave Friedman had to invent it.. by stealing all of Jose Arredondo's ideas from Mark Cameron, after Mark Cameron stole them all.

:|
Interesting. Tell me the story, if you would.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:34 amInteresting. Tell me the story, if you would.
The Mark Cameron Story : An Act In Three Parts

Part 1:
Mark Cameron takes your money and promises to build you an amplifier.

Part 2:
Mark Cameron goes on a monthlong crack and whore binge.

Part 3:
You never get your amp, or your money back.

<roll credits>
Charlie Sheen as Mark Cameron
Edward James Olmos as Jose Arredondo
John Candy as Dave Friedman
Kristen Stewart as Pete Thorn

and special guest star John Goodman as Brad King

lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:43 am
lll wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:34 amInteresting. Tell me the story, if you would.
The Mark Cameron Story : An Act In Three Parts

Part 1:
Mark Cameron takes your money and promises to build you an amplifier.

Part 2:
Mark Cameron goes on a monthlong crack and whore binge.

Part 3:
You never get your amp, or your money back.

<roll credits>
Charlie Sheen as Mark Cameron
Edward James Olmos as Jose Arredondo
John Candy as Dave Friedman
Kristen Stewart as Pete Thorn

and special guest star John Goodman as Brad King

How did Cameron steal Jose's ideas?

I assume Friedman just reverse-engineered so to speak from the examples out there.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:41 am

How did Cameron steal Jose's ideas?

I assume Friedman just reverse-engineered so to speak from the examples out there.
That story is rooted in the old "ATOMICA" lore of 14 years ago:

http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic. ... 81#p152447

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/ ... re.103745/

I can't find the thread, but there was one over at MetroAmp forum where Mark himself was posting about and shilling the ATOMICA amp, that only he could build because he had all the secrets.

edit: It's the first link I posted above.. Mark Cameron comes in on page 5
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:55 am edit: It's the first link I posted above.. Mark Cameron comes in on page 5
Oh yeah, I remember that thread from wayyyyyyyyyy back.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 amOh yeah, I remember that thread from wayyyyyyyyyy back.
After reading through that entire thread, that's not the one I'm thinking about..

There was another thread on the MetroAmp forum where the ass-clowns there are talking about some cork-sniffery bullshit, and Mark Cameron just pops into the thread and apropos to nothing, he starts spinning this yarn about this mythical ATOMICA amp he got ahold of when he bought all the stock (parts, amps, etc.) from Jose Arredondo's old shop, after Jose passed.

edit: Still can't find it. Prolly got deleted along with a ton of other good shit by those idiots who run the MetroAmp forum server. :roll:

Here's the earliest recollection of the story I can find:

by Chubtone » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:45 am

"Joe Holmes has two killer sounding '72 Jose modded Super Leads. Those things are his prized possessions. He used them forever around the LA clubs and used them when he played with Ozzy. His tone with Ozzy live was one of the best tones I have ever heard. Just monstrous.

Also as mentioned, Sykes's amps he uses in the current Thin Lizzy stuff sound killer.

I heard a lot of Jose modded Marshalls in Hollywood back in the mid to late 80's. Most of them sounded like crap, but was that the amp or the players fault? A few of them were awesome. The thing is, there were quite a few different "Jose mods" that he did. Some were higher gain than others.

Brian Jay from Keel had a great Jose modded Marshall. SO good in fact that when Keel got their record deal, someone from Peavey used Brian Jays amp to make the VTM series amp. I never played a VTM series but Mark Cameron tells me if you get all the dip switches set right that they sound pretty good.

Here's a very interesting Jose story that I experienced first hand. My buddy owned a guitar shop in Huntington Beach. Mark Cameron worked for him and I was already having Mark work on my amps. This was probably 1997 when his store opened. In about 2000, my buddy bought the entire Jose collection of amps from Jose's family after Jose passed away. They took the truck down to pick them up and I left my store I own and drove to their store to wait with Mark for the delivery. The truck gets there and we start unloading Super Lead after Super Lead after Super Lead (almost exclusively metal panel amps). Someone noticed that taped to the bottom of almost every single amp was an invoice. We started turning all the amps upside down and reading off the names on the invoices: Neal Schon, Mick Mars, Bruce Bouillet, etc etc I don't even remember all the names but it was a who's who of LA rock guitarists.

All these guys had sent Jose amps for mods and then Jose passed and they never got their amps back. Well Mark and I start weeding through the amps and going for the ones that we could tell from the exterior were already modded. Very soon we found an amp that had the name ATOMICA stenciled across the front where the Marshall logo should have been. It was a '71 Super Lead and was beat to hell. This was THE amp guys seriously. It was that sound, in a box, right in front of us. Mark was playing through it and it was just that tone I had always wanted. We switched off playing it and I decided I HAD to have that amp. I went to talk to the owner who was one of closest friends at the time. I offered him $1500, he said no. I offered him $2k he said no. Now $2k was about what a very nice plexi was selling for at the time and this was a beat to hell metal panel. $2500? No. $3000!!!!!!!!! No.

He said, just let me sort through this stuff and I'll sell you the amp once I figure out what's what. Mark loved the amp so much, and there were so many Super Leads there that Mark took it and hid it in his pile of amps to be repaired in his repair room. For months, Mark would pull it out when I came in and we would play it then he would hide it again. The owner and I had an agreement that it was mine when he decided to sell it, but by this point he didn't even remember he had it. Then my buddies shop started having severe financial trouble.... severe. Mark kept telling me the amp is still there. You better get it soon. I said don't worry it's mine, your boss promised.

About 3 weeks later Mark called me..... "did you get the Atomica amp?" No, I said...... Mark said, "WELL IT'S GONE. I've torn the whole shop apart!" I called the owner and when he finally got back to me he confirmed he had sold a "bunch of broken stuff that Mark was never going to fix" to a competitor. HOLY CRAP!!!!! I called that shop and he said, "Oh yeah, the Atomica amp? I had ******* fix it and return it to stock and I sold it". Now ******* was the biggest electronics doofus you could imagine. He was a keyboard player and didn't have the slightest clue about tone. The ATOMICA amp was gone, but thankfully Mark Cameron poked around inside that amp for months and knows every little secret as to why that amp sounded so good. How much of the Atomica amp inspired Marks's "Jose" mod? More than a little I'd guess.

Sorry for the long post, but there's some Jose history for you."
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I won't be listening to any more NUNO clips until you run the amp at wall voltage or 115 ACV and you use JMC800 NFB values.....I'm on a NUNO strike till then...... :lol:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:00 pm I won't be listening to any more NUNO clips until you run the amp at wall voltage or 115 ACV and you use JMC800 NFB values.....I'm on a NUNO strike till then...... :lol:
Me too.