PMD Tone w Jalen FW Pickup

PLX
Executive

Re: PMD Tone w Jalen FW Pickup

Post by PLX »

I finally found a good photo of the full circuit board during the last rebuild..

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Were you variacing the amp down in this latest NUNO clip you never did answer if you were?

If so it's no bueno for NUNO tone IMHO, Nuno tone needs higher voltage to keep it crunchy and tight.

What works for Ed don't work for Nuno tone unfortunately. His tone is bright, tight and percussive, and the tone you are going for Mr Nuno's JCM800's probably were all stock with a 100K NFB on the 4 ohm tap so the 47K NFB you have is not going to get you there. The plexi 47K has too much soft sag to it to get that percussive tight wound tone.

Ed tone and NUNO tone are two diametrically opposed tones with little crossover ampwise. :o

The FW pickup seems good for both tones so now you must address the next weak link the NFB.

Are you running a 50K midpot in your amp? I thought you told me yes in a prior discussion.

Do you have another 50K linear pot in your parts bins? If so I've laid out your solution if you wish to implement it. ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:09 am Were you variacing the amp down in this latest NUNO clip you never did answer if you were?

If so it's no bueno for NUNO tone IMHO, Nuno tone needs higher voltage to keep it crunchy and tight.

What works for Ed don't work for Nuno tone unfortunately. His tone is bright, tight and percussive, and the tone you are going for Mr Nuno's JCM800's probably were all stock with a 100K NFB on the 4 ohm tap so the 47K NFB you have is not going to get you there. The plexi 47K has too much soft sag to it to get that percussive tight wound tone.

Ed tone and NUNO tone are two diametrically opposed tones with little crossover ampwise. :o

The FW pickup seems good for both tones so now you must address the next weak link the NFB.

Are you running a 50K midpot in your amp? I thought you told me yes in a prior discussion.

Do you have another 50K linear pot in your parts bins? If so I've laid out your solution if you wish to implement it. ;)
Yeah, I should change that for trying to cop Nuno's tone. I left it running with 2 tubes pulled at 90VAC.

I changed the mid pot to 50K during the last rebuild.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:14 am
harddriver wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:09 am Were you variacing the amp down in this latest NUNO clip you never did answer if you were?

Yeah, I should change that for trying to cop Nuno's tone. I left it running with 2 tubes pulled at 90VAC.

I changed the mid pot to 50K during the last rebuild.
What incoming voltage did you set you bias at? Wall voltage 120ACV or did you set it while variaced down to 90ACV?

Do you have another 50K linear pot laying around? If so you are already half way to your solution..... 8-)

You must remember that the 50K midpot half way up is dimed on a stock amp( with a 25K pot) so you also need to take that into consideration as well. Nuno rols alot of highs and mids out so his amp is kinda scooped a little, I think lll mentioned that as well.

Variaced at 90 volts is some of the issue, plexi and JCM800 are apples to oranges. You don't need to pull the 47K you only need to add the 50K linear pot as I laid out. You have the extra chassis holes so you may as well use them. That way you have the ability to select Ed or Nuno NFB whenever you wish with the turn of that NFB 50K pot knob....... ;) It's a half hour to an hour job at best..... :roll:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:28 am What incoming voltage did you set you bias at? Wall voltage 120ACV or did you set it while variaced down to 90ACV?

Do you have another 50K linear pot laying around? If so you are already half way to your solution..... 8-)

You must remember that the 50K midpot half way up is dimed on a stock amp( with a 25K pot) so you also need to take that into consideration as well. Nuno rols alot of highs and mids out so his amp is kinda scooped a little, I think lll mentioned that as well.

Variaced at 90 volts is some of the issue, plexi and JCM800 are apples to oranges. You don't need to pull the 47K you only need to add the 50K linear pot as I laid out. You have the extra chassis holes so you may as well use them. That way you have the ability to select Ed or Nuno NFB whenever you wish with the turn of that NFB 50K pot knob....... ;) It's a half hour to an hour job at best..... :roll:
I just did it the way Jim Gaustad does it.. I biased at wall voltage, then turned down the variac without changing anything.

I have a construction crew starting a project here day after tomorrow. They're going to be forming up a 2,600 sq ft concrete slab, so I'm gonna be busy overseeing that.

In between keeping an eye on the contractor, I'm going to put the completed circuit board into my BE-50 amp and get it up and running.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I would hope that lll and I have accrued some street cred with you from previous recommendations.... ;)

We recommended the RAT...you fought us...

We recommended the higher output pickup...you fought us...

Now lll recommends a non plexi amp and I recommend using a non plexi NFB and higher plate voltages....... :?
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:26 pm I would hope that lll and I have accrued some street cred with you from previous recommendations.... ;)

We recommended the RAT...you fought us...

We recommended the higher output pickup...you fought us...

Now lll recommends a non plexi amp and I recommend using a non plexi NFB and higher plate voltages....... :?
Yes, PLX. Joinnn usss... :shock: :o :lol:
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:26 pm We recommended the RAT...you fought us...
Not true. I wanted to build a clone with the chipset I wanted.. and I did. :D
harddriver wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:26 pm We recommended the higher output pickup...you fought us...
Nuh uhh.. I ordered the Van Jalen Far Warming 15.6kΩ, and the ghost of DanTheMailman tried to steal it.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:34 pm Now lll recommends a non plexi amp and I recommend using a non plexi NFB and higher plate voltages....... :?
You guys just wait until I get the BE-50 running.

:lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:42 pm
You guys just wait until I get the BE-50 running.

:lol:
The BE50 didn't exist when Nuno recorded those tones............ :P