Ground Zero Hellion 100 watt amp...

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Ground Zero Hellion 100 watt amp...

Post by harddriver »

Another Jose modded 100 watt offering that seems to offer a little more that the standard Jose/Cameron amenities. I really like this builders Modded Marshall amps. I'm still in deliberation of whether or not he captures what he captured with his modded Marshall amp but I will see when he posts more clips. I'll even include the dreaded Reza clip :lol: :lol: where he makes almost all amps sound bad....

Builders clips:

His modded Marshall clips:

THE REZA CLIP:
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Re: Ground Zero Hellion 100 watt amp...

Post by sytharnia NZ »

I think it sounds TERRIBLE in the "first play thru" video :lol: ... but sounds great in all the other ones
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

I like the Marshall clip best. The amp has some nice character to it but it seems hollow and thin a bit in the top end. In fairness, the amp (top to bottom sonically) fits together and works, I just hear something I am having a hard time describing. It could also be totally different in the room. It has a lot of familiarity to it as well. How many more modified Marshall / Jose type amps do we need and what is really different about some of them from one to the other? Not a lot. It looks nice which I really like. How much do they cost?
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

RockyStar wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:28 am I like the Marshall clip best. The amp has some nice character to it but it seems hollow and thin a bit in the top end. In fairness, the amp (top to bottom sonically) fits together and works, I just hear something I am having a hard time describing. It could also be totally different in the room. It has a lot of familiarity to it as well. How many more modified Marshall / Jose type amps do we need and what is really different about some of them from one to the other? Not a lot. It looks nice which I really like. How much do they cost?
He hasn't set a price yet as far as I know. I also like the Marshall clip better for a few reasons I was hoping he could capture the Marshall magic since it is pretty much the same circuit but I think he might have tweaked it for the death metal chugga chugga crowd. I tend to garvitate towards more Marshally a less modern tones but I think it sounds on par with alot of Cameron tones for sure and I even dare to say that Marshall might sound better than most Camerons.... 8-) :o So before I pass judgment I'll wait for more clip of the Hellion, that amp may need a little break in time for the caps to settle in, we'll see...
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

harddriver wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:32 pm
RockyStar wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:28 am I like the Marshall clip best. The amp has some nice character to it but it seems hollow and thin a bit in the top end. In fairness, the amp (top to bottom sonically) fits together and works, I just hear something I am having a hard time describing. It could also be totally different in the room. It has a lot of familiarity to it as well. How many more modified Marshall / Jose type amps do we need and what is really different about some of them from one to the other? Not a lot. It looks nice which I really like. How much do they cost?
He hasn't set a price yet as far as I know. I also like the Marshall clip better for a few reasons I was hoping he could capture the Marshall magic since it is pretty much the same circuit but I think he might have tweaked it for the death metal chugga chugga crowd. I tend to garvitate towards more Marshally a less modern tones but I think it sounds on par with alot of Cameron tones for sure and I even dare to say that Marshall might sound better than most Camerons.... 8-) :o So before I pass judgment I'll wait for more clip of the Hellion, that amp may need a little break in time for the caps to settle in, we'll see...
Ahhh...so this is a major mom and pop situation. (Nothing wrong with that) I thought it was a small company selling amps like George at Metropolis or something. Look forward to learning more about it and such. It does have some nice sounds for sure.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

It's a guy on Eurotalk named Redplated, he is a nice guy, we've conversed over there and he seems cool, He is trying to make his own amp line like that Shea guy that build the Monomyth amps and mods. The construciton and parts all are top notch and his wiring and lead dress is very good so it's uo there with Cameron and Friedman quite honestly, he posted full board and chassis pics and the build quality look beyond reproach to my eyes.

So yeah it's basically a one guy operation but he may be a few years too late to tap into a dying market but good for him for trying, he will sell a few amps to the guys that like to try everything under the sun.

Hard to make it viable business these days IMHO.