Suhr Reactive Load

lll
Middle Manager

Suhr Reactive Load

Post by lll »

Coming my way soon...
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Suhr Reactive Load

Post by harddriver »

Let us know how you like it.... :mrgreen:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Short review - Ive had a THD Hotplate for almost 2 decades now. It was my go-to for load box... it is a resistive type, using resistors only (and a fan).

The reactive style uses an air coil plus resistors etc... plus the Suhr has a tuned network. All of this allows for a "reactive impedance" just like a real speaker. The Suhr also has a fan.

The resistive load type does not have that "reactive impedance" feel; it is mostly flat, dull and lifeless (basically overly-compressed) since the impedance never changes.

That's not to say that the Hotplate or similar resistive load doesn't have its uses - it's great if you just want to knock off a handful of dBs from your amp playing live.

Anyhoo, this Suhr RL is built like a brick shithouse, and is actually bigger than my THD Hotplate. Sounds and feels great... has that "speaker squish/bounce" that you get when the impedance is constantly changing (a la a real speaker).

Quick tone test with a mutt strat w SH-5, into Friedman BE-OD Deluxe, into '66 Deluxe, into Suhr RL, into DAW with speaker iRs etc:

[soundcloud][/soundcloud]
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Thanks for the detailed in depth review it is appreciated! I have a Rivera Rockcrusher and an old THD for bench work that I still use only down to -8 DB but at those levels it's pretty transparent.

With current prices of used hotplates north of $200 bucks the Suhr Reactive load is a bargain and I like how Suhr builds his line outs as well.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Sounds great! Now you got me gassing for a Suhr Reactive Load and the Universal Audio rack stuff...lol.

Damn you!

:lol:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

If you're going to do any sort of "tame the cranked tube amp" recording, you must do a reactive load (Suhr in this case).

The HotPlate or other resistive loads just don't cut the mustard; flat, lifeless dead tone.

I'd use a resistive load if I was padding down one amp to go into another, or if I just wanted to knock down a few dBs.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

lll wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:57 pm If you're going to do any sort of "tame the cranked tube amp" recording, you must do a reactive load (Suhr in this case).

The HotPlate or other resistive loads just don't cut the mustard; flat, lifeless dead tone.

I'd use a resistive load if I was padding down one amp to go into another, or if I just wanted to knock down a few dBs.
Agreed! I have the Fryette PS-2 and the Boss TAE but can still see some things I like about the Suhr and its simplicity.