harddriver
Grand Poobah

EVH 5150 Iconic Amp.....

Post by harddriver »

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Re: EVH 5150 Iconic Amp.....

Post by RockyStar »

I think the amp is nice and a great value.
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

I'm digging what I've been hearing - and reading from James Brown on this amp, especially as Rocky said considering the price on these.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I have a feeling they are going to sell alot of these at this pricepoint of $899.00. Let's see how robust the build quality is after some time but I like what I hear right now. It's like a hybrid cross between and 5150 and S/S Randall RG100ES from the 80's but with more gain.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

They will sell well and hold up well also if I had to guess. They aren't going to put anything out like that with its history and so forth that isn't going to hold up. Most tube amp issues are tubes the majority of he time so this will be fine with how it is built. At this price point, it is a lot of amp IMO. It is unreasonable to compare it to a $4800 dollar amp. If I was a kid and had the chance to get something like that back in the day I would have been stoked.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Someone posted somewhere that Ed wanted this amp to capture more of his 12301 sound and be somewhat less modern than the 5153 offerings and he wanted it more affordable for entry level players.

I have to say I hear alot of plexi like clank and chirp in the green channle with the preamp gain level set low yet it's still crunchy on the single notes kinda like a Mighty Mite 1400/1300 pickup being played into a cranked variaced Marshall plexi. That telltale hair riding on the crunch of the single fretted notes is unmistakable at least to me ears. ;)

I think it would be a pretty cool amp to have quite honestly as i love my old Randall RG100ES and I love my 68 plexi. Now.... something that incorporates both that's pretty cool........ 8-)
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

I agree with you. I noticed that sound right away. I will go this far to say that that sound and aspect of the amp is quite possibly the hidden jewel of the whole amp. Some of the clips haven't been the best but a trained ear can pick up little things and I heard a few things right away with it. For a couple of those things and at that price point, it is a great amp to have IMO. All the bitchin naysayers will be the first to get one when they can get their hands on one.

Remember what was said about the stealth and the EL-34 version as well back when they first came out.
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

The "brown sound" video sounded awesome ... didn't like the top video though... If I hadn't had my pre amp made I would grab one of these for sure (always regretted selling my 5153)
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

I'm really thinking hard about buying one of these, told myself when we bought our house I'd get a head and a 4x12 and that was over two years ago.... I've been playing through a Randall RG80 (one of the newer ones I bought a few years ago - got it for @ $200 with a coupon from MF and now they're north of $700 in Biden's America which is ridiculous) and from everything i've read and heard online, you really can't beat these for the price - even though they've gone up since release.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Watson503 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:19 am I'm really thinking hard about buying one of these, told myself when we bought our house I'd get a head and a 4x12 and that was over two years ago.... I've been playing through a Randall RG80 (one of the newer ones I bought a few years ago - got it for @ $200 with a coupon from MF and now they're north of $700 in Biden's America which is ridiculous) and from everything i've read and heard online, you really can't beat these for the price - even though they've gone up since release.
My local GC had some in stock....walk in walk out with one.... :lol:

Better jump soon... the HYPERINFLATION is not going to stop. :roll: