Soldano SLO 100 Retube

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Re: Soldano SLO 100 Retube

Post by RockyStar »

I will also be on the hunt for a proper Soldano cab.
Nigel
Recruit

Re: Soldano SLO 100 Retube

Post by Nigel »

WGAFISHOME wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:19 am
RockyStar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:14 am I am going to be buying some tubes (both power and pre) for a few of my amps and to have some extras laying around for a rainy day and remembered I haven't retubed my SLO. It currently has KT-66's in it. I am not opposed to 5881's or something else.

What Power and Pre tubes work best and why do you like them?
I've had my SLO for over 29yrs but sadly I can't give you tube advice as I just can't settle with its tone. Way too buzzy and compressed for me.
Mine IS the SLO tone and it still has its 'original' 5881s in it.

Based on the many decades of trying to like the amp I found two things. The most important is it MUST be mated to a Soldano cabinet with Eminence speakers as it rolls off the HF fuzz and fattens the tone. Celestions DO NOT work with a SLO for it to sound as intended. Many will say I'm wrong but I've dealt with Mike many times over this. I have 12 Marshall cabs with many Celestion models in them and the best sounding cab with the SLO is it's own Soldano cabinet with the Eminence.

The SLO cabs are front loaded as opposed to a rear loaded Marshall cab & with the HF rolloff of the Eminence the front load gives you punch without the usual front loaded HF spike.

Also, with the circuit being as 'active' & over bearing on tone most tube changeovers don't make an enormous difference to the final result of the SLO. Sure, some variances are slightly noticeable with different tube recipes but at the end of the day I could have achieved those with an EQ.

I have a Zinky Mofo that is in essence a poor man's SLO. They came with wafer bottom 5881's, Sovtek/EH pres, and the cabs are front loaded with Zinky Eminence speakers.

I struggled for over a decade to get the harsh highs out of this amp, because I intuitively knew once solved, this amp was the Way.

First up, Sovtek 5881's:

The ones with silver lettering are rebranded Soviet Military 6π3S-E (6p3S-E/6n3S-e for search purposes). Observe:

Notice the sliver letter has stapled, rather than welded, plates and that the color is slightly lighter.

There is a night and day difference in tone between these two, and at the high voltages the SLO runs, it is ear-piercing.

The Zinky stock is even higher than the 505 or so, it's 550-560! Getting the OG russkies helps with that, ALOT, as does high bias. SLO's are notoriously cold.

Another thing to consider is the preamp tubes. I have found nothing better than late 50's Mullard 12AX7 17mm long plates. Get one for V1/V2 or PI to start and you will be on your way to enjoyment rather than cringing.

Speakers: basically, the Eminence are fine but if you really want a next level experience, in my humble opinion, either find used or order new Mesa T4335 8 ohm vintage 30s for your cab (as they work FINE front loaded), or get a used Mesa Rectifier Standard or Traditional 4x12, the older the better.

The Mesa spec are the original form, and all others from the very early 90's on do not sound the same and are not as musical/magical. Furthermore it is reported that the newer T4335-B variant (and T4416-B 16 ohm) do not sound as good as the older, non-B spec. I happen to like my T4335B, so ymmv.

At any rate, getting the old glass will make you happier, power and pre. If you have a Mesa dealer locally, try one of their V30 cabs, even a 1x12. They just sound "right," it's hard to describe it any other way...likely because so many records were made with the original Vintage 30 in the 80's and 90's as well as Mesa's dominance throughout the 90's and beyond. Metal producer Andy Sneap is quoted as saying 80% of mix decisions are taken care of simply by using a Mesa 4x12.

Hope this helps! It's been a LONG journey but I'm a happy camper now and hope this message has provided you with meaningful insight and interesting experiments to do.

Onward to Toantaria!