Friedman BE OD Deluxe...in da house......

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Friedman BE OD Deluxe...in da house......

Post by harddriver »

Well... I ordered my Friedman BE OD Deluxe pedal Thursday and Sweetwater had it at my door on Saturday. I fired it up through my 67 Fender Bandmaster today and I have to say I am quite impressed, especially since I am mostly a Marshall guy so alot out there has been a disappointment over the years but this definitely has the Marshall tone and yes feel, the low end response feels like an amp to me. My previous amp in box experience was the Bogner Red pedal which I ended up not caring for the Bogner tone after awhile. I guess Friedman added the mid pot control and the three way tight controls somewhat recently from the previous genaration and I read Dave took some gain out of Channel A.

I pulled the back off just to see where the factory had set the internal gain trimpots, Channel A was set about 10 o'clock and Channel B was set a 9 o'clock close to where alot of people have been recommending setting them, I think I read the factory was setting them a 12 noon on both channels and that can be a bit much.

Anyway I set the BE OD deluxe up pretty much like an amp setup. Channel A is set up like a plexi on break up ala AC/DC and channel B is set up like a JCM800 gain amount, I then used my SRB 808 plus in SD-1 mode to boost and the pedal take the boost just like an amp and sounds really good doing it.

I am running Channel A plexi gain at 10 o'clock and and Channel B JCM800 gain at just above cracked at 8 o'clock for JCM800 gain, anything past 9 o'clock is almost too much especially with a boost.

Is it 100% exactly like a tube amp, no..... but it is more tubelike and sounds better than I thought it would. One of the cool features in the 3 way tight switch all the way down the tone has sag like a plexi tube amp, middle position is tighter/dryer less sag), up position is tight like Engl, VHT, Randall RG100ES tight, I could get pretty tight Dime tones with my Jake guitar that has a Duncan Allan Holdsworth JB wind in it like 16.9K.

I didn't get around to reamping my 68 plexi with the Bandmaster yet yet but I will, I want to see where the bias is set at on the Bandmaster first.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Re: Friedman BE OD Deluxe...in da house......

Post by RockyStar »

It's a must have pedal IMO if you want a Marshall sound from a pedal.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

RockyStar wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:55 am It's a must have pedal IMO if you want a Marshall sound from a pedal.
I usually either like or dislike something like this almost immediately amp and tonewise and I liked this pedal after just a few turns of the knobs. I am very particular about my Marshall tones and this pedal delivers those tone quite well. I liked it so much I played much longer than I was planning on yesterday. The BE OD has a very real sound to it, the Bogner Red almost was almost processed/plasticy after some time and I grew to dislike it.

As far as I know this pedal is still 100% more than likely analog technology FET's but Dave definitely did a good job on it's design with having the two separate channels and volume controls.

The other thing that I liked is that it is built in the USA. Dave never outsourced the labor to any slave nation states for increased profits. 8-)
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

harddriver wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:04 pm
RockyStar wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:55 am It's a must have pedal IMO if you want a Marshall sound from a pedal.
I usually either like or dislike something like this almost immediately amp and tonewise and I liked this pedal after just a few turns of the knobs. I am very particular about my Marshall tones and this pedal delivers those tone quite well. I liked it so much I played much longer than I was planning on yesterday. The BE OD has a very real sound to it, the Bogner Red almost was almost processed/plasticy after some time and I grew to dislike it.

As far as I know this pedal is still 100% more than likely analog technology FET's but Dave definitely did a good job on it's design with having the two separate channels and volume controls.

The other thing that I liked is that it is built in the USA. Dave never outsourced the labor to any slave nation states for increased profits. 8-)
Agreed! All the Friedman pedals are wonderful in their own right. The Buxom Boost is great and under the radar for a lot of folks. The BE-OD Deluxe is tough to beat for what it brings to the table. Glad you dig it!
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

It's the only MIAB (Marshall-In-A-Box) I've tried that actually works extremely well as intended.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.