Vintage MXR Flanger..........Incoming........

PLX
Executive

Re: Vintage MXR Flanger..........Incoming........

Post by PLX »

Based on the serial number, it looks like first year of production (1976)

Can you get the codes off the pots to confirm ?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:12 pm I can't tell really. I see 5 blue tantulum caps. I don't see the yellow one you are talking about.
Between the voltage regulator chip and that plastic 500K trimpot.. right across from the big blue cap

Wait, are we looking at the same image :lol: :?:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I just got off the phone with the guy...nice guy...He's a huge Ed head like us PLX, he even builds his own amps but he owns Marshall 67 Super trem and a 69 Super trem. We chatted Ed's setup and he said he just bought a real PAF for $5,000.00 and he says it's worth every penny................... :lol: That's a serious guitar player

Anyway I've decided to keep the pedal and replace the footswitch as the flanger is an improvement over my EVH Flanger. In the meantime I'll pickup a looper pedal to run it.

Interesting topic of discussion was he believes Ed used the Flanger between the Loaded down 12301 and the reamp heads not up front like Robin L and Jim Gaustad do... I think I remember Robin L saying this as well. I'll have to recheck.

Thanks for the footswitch link PLX! ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:49 pm Interesting topic of discussion was he believes Ed used the Flanger between the Loaded down 12301 and the reamp heads not up front like Robin L and Jim Gaustad do... I think I remember Robin L saying this as well. I'll have to recheck.
I tried that rig about 20 years ago. It sounded great !

You run your "time based" effects between you tone generator (main tube amp) and a solid state power amp. I was doing with a purely resistive load back then (hadn't learned how to build a reactive load yet).

So, phaser, flanger, chorus, delay.. all that would go in the line-level signal out of your main amp, into (usually) a solid-state amp into a second speaker cabinet. Sounds HUGE :!:

:lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I don't think Ed started doing that until around 1980-82 the Bob Bradshaw era, but for some reason I seem to remember Robin L sayin Ed had Jose mod the wooden headbox Super Bass to specifically act like just a power amp and then Ed started running the Flanger after the after and before the power amp.

I still think for VH1 Ed was running the Flanger up front: Flanger>Phae90>EP3 echoplex>EP3 echoplex>MXR 6 band( on a looper pedal) but there were two looper pedals on Ed board in 78 in the big colorsound overdriver enclosures numbered #1 and #2. Once of those was the MXR and I can't remember what the second one was for................... :roll:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Hey, just learned you can get a look at the pot codes from a certain angle without removing the circuit board.

Would just need a small flashlight to shine in and see it.

:mrgreen:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:16 am Hey, just learned you can get a look at the pot codes from a certain angle without removing the circuit board.

Would just need a small flashlight to shine in and see it.

:mrgreen:
I'll open it up tomorrow since it's mine now. I figured what the hey I'll put a new footswitch in it and I have a looper pedal coming for it so I can use it as is until the new footswitch comes.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

More confirmation on that trim-pot:

http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic. ... 71#p321971

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I didn't open it up yet. I did buy and single channel looper pedal that can engage with a latching switch and a momentary switch which will work out great for short engagements like Unchained and such.