Vintage MXR Flanger..........Incoming........

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Vintage MXR Flanger..........Incoming........

Post by harddriver »

I've been wanting to try a vintage MXR Flanger instead of my EVH Flanger for a while now....prices were a little crazy so I was shopping shrewdly. I wanted one with a new capacitor on the power supply and I've been watching a couple on Reverb. One of the one's I was watching finally dropped his price so I hit BIN. Hopefully it betters my EVH one...we'll see. I had one of these back in the 80's and it was broken then and didn't work... :lol: :lol: :lol: .......I don't even remember what I did with it........ :roll:

This one looks clean all around.............and has the new filter cap on the power supply! ;)

https://reverb.com/item/55150505-mxr-mx ... _sold=true
Last edited by harddriver on Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
PLX
Executive

Re: Vintage MXR Flanger..........Incoming........

Post by PLX »

Decent price.

They haven't been below $150 for over 3-1/2 years.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I just hear some more magic with the vintage ones especially in clips like Gaustad's......A vintage MXR clone build appeared on Ebay for $150.00 but it wasn't truly a 1:1 clone from what I could tell. With all my years on the VH1 chase sometimes ya gotta get that actual piece Ed used...... :roll: ;)

I should have held onto my EP3 longer I sold it for what I paid for it, it worked fine but was going to need standard maintenance to bring it up to snuff....and the only one who I knew of that worked on them retired...........so I sold it on CL back in 2017.

My old Ibanez EM5's do a pretty good echoplex with the EP-PRE's and no maintenance. I've often thought about the El Capistan echoplex delay though..........

I'm excited to finally hear one of these in person though.....I cannot lie........... :D
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

You get it yet :?:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

No...it's shipping in from California. Says expected delivery of 10/28/22.

I'll give ya an update when it arrives........... ;)
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I got the pedal today and the flanger circuit seems to work ok but when it's bypassed with the footswitch for a non flange dry signal there is this constant oscillating popping like every second like the clock circuit is bleeding over in the main signal. I like th flanger but that constant popping aint gonna do it for me it doesn't stop. Also the footswitch seems like it's going bad as there is signal shorting dropouts when the flanger is turned off into bypass.

I know it's a vintage flanger and all and I know I can chage out the footswitch but that popping is driving me crazy.

PLX do you know if this can be fixed or is this common problem on these old MXR flangers when the clock time or that Reticon chip goes bad? I don't know.............. :roll:

I don't want to be that winey guy regarding the seller but this popping is obvious. When I take it out of of the signal chain it stops so it is the flanger doing it.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I tried the flanger all by itself on another power source outlet into my 2203 amp and it still does the constant 1 second interval faint pop like a . I'm guessing the clock circuit chip is going bad or something. It had to be making this noise when this guy had the pedal WTF people just leave stuff out of the descriptions now.......GEEESSHHH! I guess I'm not destined to have one of these.......... at least working ones.......... :roll: :evil:

I asked very politely and nicely for permission to return it for a refund we'll see if he accuses my of breaking it. I told him I could live with the footswitch shorting out but the 1 second interval faint popping I could not. I told him I would pay shipping back to him on me to be as fair as I could.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

It's probably a capacitor.

Can you post a gutshot ?

The footswitch is easily replaced.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:47 pm I tried the flanger all by itself on another power source outlet into my 2203 amp and it still does the constant 1 second interval faint pop like a . I'm guessing the clock circuit chip is going bad or something. It had to be making this noise when this guy had the pedal WTF people just leave stuff out of the descriptions now.......GEEESSHHH! I guess I'm not destined to have one of these.......... at least working ones.......... :roll: :evil:

I asked very politely and nicely for permission to return it for a refund we'll see if he accuses my of breaking it. I told him I could live with the footswitch shorting out but the 1 second interval faint popping I could not. I told him I would pay shipping back to him on me to be as fair as I could.
You check that large blue electrolytic ? SPRAUGE 500 (C24 on schematic))

Is it original ?

What board revision is yours ? 4001 or 3001 ?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

HD, I have a perfectly good, in-working-order MXR footswitch from a 1977 Distortion+

It looks just like the one used in the MXR-117 Flanger.

I can send it to you, if you wanna try it ?