Vintage MXR Flanger..........Incoming........

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Vintage MXR Flanger..........Incoming........

Post by harddriver »

The seller messaged me back and he seems like reasonable person so far. He wanted me to call him so he could explain how he used the pedal. I don't think I really need a tutorial about his method of using a pedal.......... :roll: But I'm trying to be cordial....I think he is trying to negotiate me keeping it. I will be clicking the request refund either way.

I told him I can call him but at this I think it's best I just return it to him. This thing had to be doing this while in his possesion. If that were disclosed in the description it would not sell. People just aren't honest these days......... :x
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:30 pm The seller messaged me back and he seems like reasonable person so far. He wanted me to call him so he could explain how he used the pedal. I don't think I really need a tutorial about his method of using a pedal.......... :roll: But I'm trying to be cordial....I think he is trying to negotiate me keeping it. I will be clicking the request refund either way.

I told him I can call him but at this I think it's best I just return it to him. This thing had to be doing this while in his possesion. If that were disclosed in the description it would not sell. People just aren't honest these days......... :x
HD, if he was using it in his effects loop, he may not have been able to hear the clock noise.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

How would if be any different? Is the impedance different in the loop? Audio signal is audio signal is it not?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:45 pm How would if be any different? Is the impedance different in the loop? Audio signal is audio signal is it not?
Just less noticeable in the loop, rather than in front of the amp.

Get your refund (of course), but wait and see what he says about how he was running the flanger.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Well I called the guy and he wasn't in but he left me some messages on Reverb and he said he was using the pedal on looper pedal where the flanger was always on and then he switched it in and out via the looper pedal so I guess that clock noise would not be heard doing it that way.

Do you think I should just get a looper pedal for it instead of running it first before the phase 90?

I dunno if all of these 40+ year old flanger are going to have this issue I suppose but I would like to just run it the way Ed did though.

I did get it for a good price at $195.00 but still if I ran the looper pedal I have to buy an additional looper pedal. I know the flanger does seem to work good on the effect side of things.................

Would a true bypass switch get rid of the clock noise?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:43 pm Well I called the guy and he wasn't in but he left me some messages on Reverb and he said he was using the pedal on looper pedal where the flanger was always on and then he switched it in and out via the looper pedal so I guess that clock noise would not be heard doing it that way.

Do you think I should just get a looper pedal for it instead of running it first before the phase 90?

I dunno if all of these 40+ year old flanger are going to have this issue I suppose but I would like to just run it the way Ed did though.

I did get it for a good price at $195.00 but still if I ran the looper pedal I have to buy an additional looper pedal. I know the flanger does seem to work good on the effect side of things.................

Would a true bypass switch get rid of the clock noise?
Unless you get lucky and find one that has been stored in a box under a bed for 40 years... yeah, they are all gonna have that issue.

HD, open the bottom plate and snap a hi-res digital pic and post it so I can see the board.

Are there blobs of solder on that trim-pot I highlighted ? Some of them were soldered at final assembly to stop the trim pots from shifting during shipping to music stores.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

The footswitch is definitely going bad especially when you turn off the flanger sometimes it shorts out. WHen it catches ok to bypass when I run a boss buffered pedal in front just for the buffer the clock noise does go away. When the footswitch short I get a broken audio signal and the clock noise returns. I don't seem to hear clock noise when the flanger is turned on. Does that mean the BB chips are still good?

Someone suggested that on another forum. If I don't want to run the buffer I could pick up a single bypass looper pedal so I can run it up front and stomp the shit out the new loop footswitch instead of the original which is finnciky.

I do like the way the pedal sounds minus the clocknoise but I seeing ways around that and I imagine I'll install a new footswitch anyway.

I think the clock noise is going to be there with about any of these pedals really. I'm thinking about keeping it now.

Should I ask for some money off since the footswitch is bad? I paid $195.00 which is pretty good for a vintage unit.
Last edited by harddriver on Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

There are pics in the listing if those are good enough.

https://reverb.com/item/55150505-mxr-mx ... _sold=true
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Looking at those gut-shots, there are some wonky things going on in there, bro..

That AC power cable is not factory, and it looks like a sloppy job.

C20 (the yellow 10uF) does not look stock, and looks like it either exploded or about to explode. :? That would have been a blue tantalum cap from the factory.

The trim-pots appear to be soldered. You'd have to use a solder wick, or solder bulb to remove that before you could adjust the clock sync

Someone has been doing some de-soldering/re-soldering inside that unit.

C24 has been replaced (not a problem. electrolytic cap. prolly needed replacing)

Looks like they replaced (?) the voltage regulator chip.. Weird.. why ?
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I can't tell really. I see 5 blue tantulum caps. I don't see the yellow one you are talking about.

Sounds lke you think this thing has been butchered?

Should I just return it then? That pretty the message I left the guy before I started experimenting with the buffered pedal and considering the looper pedal but I really shouldn't have to....to me a bad footswitch should be mentioned in the listing IMHO.... :x
Last edited by harddriver on Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.