Just got my BYOC OD-1 clone pedal...

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Just got my BYOC OD-1 clone pedal...

Post by harddriver »

Well I got my BYOC OD-1 clone with the Raytheon 14 ppin Op Amp chip. So it can with sockets on the board to swap out some common mods. It came with LEDs installed instead of the regular diodes and had a 3.3K resistor and .33uf cap installed on initial fireup and I wasn't really diggin it. Those mods were supposed to give the pedal more gain and make it crunchier ala the Red LED's but I think it took away from the mojo.

So today I swapped everything back to 100% stock and wow I think I like it better than my Thunder Tomate Od-1 clone. Maybe it's the Raytheon chip versus the NEC 14 pin op amp that the Thunder Tomate had but I just got done with loggin some time into my 2203 and it's Jake E Lee all day.

Anyway... I have to say the BYOC is alot better than I thought it would be. I'll have to A/B it with my venerated trusty SRB SD-1 and see what I prefer but so far I like it.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Re: Just got my BYOC OD-1 clone pedal...

Post by RockyStar »

Gas
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I could not pass it up for $50..... I know the Thunder Tomate OD-1 used all premium resistors and caps but I think sometimes metal film resistors and so called premium caps can possibly give the tone a hi-fi, clinical sound, but the Tomate OD-1 did not have the character for some reason and there wasn't a whole lotta raunch to it and when my JRC4558 SRB pedal came along the SRB surpassed it easily plus the SRB does OD808 and SD-1 specs, three types of clipping and about 25% more gain, it's been my favorite pedal for over ten years but the lore of the OD-1 still nagged at me. I think I paid $100 or $150 for the Thunder Tomate back in 2008/9.

I was all prepared to say the BYOC sucked for $50 bucks and don't waste your time or money but I can't say that, it was a really nice surprise. :D :D
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

EQ-spectrum wise It's got a great frown curve (practically a perfect half-circle) with the peak at 800Hz.

Natural hi-pass so there's no flub in the low end.

Asymmetic clipping for that extra sparkle on top.

"Warm crunch" by itself into a cleanish tube amp.

"perfect mids + boost" into a cooking Marshall.

It will have somewhat more mids than the typical SD-1.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.