In Lockdown .. bored so made this

sytharnia NZ
Recruit

In Lockdown .. bored so made this

Post by sytharnia NZ »

Ceruse finish on an ASH top (formerly a floor) and Fijian Kauri "bottom" .. Full Shred P/up ... sounds fat and bright
ImageImageImageImageImage
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: In Lockdown .. bored so made this

Post by harddriver »

It reminds me of the Jackson Rhoades model. Looks great! is the entire body one piece ash or did you have to laminate as a two or three piece body?
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

harddriver wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:42 pm It reminds me of the Jackson Rhoades model. Looks great! is the entire body one piece ash or did you have to laminate as a two or three piece body?
The shape is based on the GJ2 concorde that Grover Jackson was making a few years ago. The top is 2 pieces of 15mm ASH and the body wood is Fiji Kauri
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

I love pointy guitars. 8-)
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

PLX wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:54 pm I love pointy guitars. 8-)
you and me both bro.. I just turned 50 and love them more now than ever :evil:
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Pointy guitars are awesome. I need more of them! How did you do the finish? It looks kind of like that stuff those people do with a blow torch to pop the grain out.
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

RockyStar wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 pm Pointy guitars are awesome. I need more of them! How did you do the finish? It looks kind of like that stuff those people do with a blow torch to pop the grain out.
it is similar. I wish now I had filmed myself doing the process, because a few have asked else where how I did it. The finish is call Ceruse. Instead of using a blow torch you use a wire wheel on a drill and rip up the grain lines, then sand the entire thing and repeat a couple of times. the sanding helps smooth out the bits you want to be black (generally black is the best base colour because it shows up the other colour better)
Then you spray the black base and clearcoat it (with lots of clear) .. this is so when you wipe on the other colour you don't want any of it sticking to the black and dis colouring it. Once dry you then wipe on the colour you want for grain (I use waterbased paint because it is easiest to wipe off) ... the paint needs to be quite thin so it is easy to "move" around the body and then wipe off. You have to take of as much as you can from the black areas (which is higher than the grain at this point so it is pretty easy), then let it dry and wet sand to get the remain colour off the black and the clearcoat the whole thing

Here it is in the black only stage Image
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Cool, I get it now. There are some cool finished being done with these various techniques. I have a Collings with a Dog Hair finish that sounds similar in a way with the one color base and then spraying a different color and wiping it off, etc.
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

Thats really cool. It's funny, I've never really cared for pointy guitars. Especially pointy headstocks but the older I get the more I feel like I should have at least ONE!