7 String Guitars

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

7 String Guitars

Post by RockyStar »

I am back and forth on getting one. Share your experiences with me on them.
CoolGuitarGear
Team Leader

Re: 7 String Guitars

Post by CoolGuitarGear »

I treat my 7 string as a sixer... ignore the 7th. And then... when you need that extra low note, you have it. I think the 7 strings are a longer scale, to accommodate the heavier strings. I'm fine with it, but often they produce a deeper timber. I have small hands and play a 7 string to problem, but there is a definite size difference to that of six.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Thank you for the response. I prefer thicker necks so I was thinking of getting a regular or thinner neck 7 so it wouldn't be obscenely different. I also have thought of a baritone 6 stringer, or just tuning down and being done with it..lol. Tuning down is the last choice on the list. A baritone 6 vs a 7 has me leaning towards the 7 on paper. I am ok with it being a lower / deeper sound. I just don't want it competing with a bass.
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

I think anything above 7s and you're ok - those 8's and above, you chord on those low strings and it just sounds like crap to me and I just don't see the appeal of them. I have always dug the idea of 7s and the extra real estate they provide. Back years ago when they first came out, my friend Tim got one of the first Ibanez UV7's with the high A string - what a beautiful guitar that was.

Not his guitar but it looked exactly like this one:
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

I am leaning towards the 7. Now just which one as most guitars I own and play are not in line with the makers of 7 stringers. :ugeek: