NGFMD: Charvel Pro Mod So Cal Style 1 HH FR

lll
Middle Manager

NGFMD: Charvel Pro Mod So Cal Style 1 HH FR

Post by lll »

N.ew G.uitar F.or M.odding D.ay

It was time for a NG and I was considering building another (Warmoth perhaps), but I'm not waiting months and months for parts (due to "covid" or other BS).

...so I spec'd a guitar with good "bones":

Charvel Pro Mod So Cal Style 1 HH FR

This is the white Jake E Lee sorta looking superstrat with all black hardware and pickguard.

- 2x SD Distortions, with the bridge being a Trembucker

- "6-pack of tone" 3 way switch, push-pull coil tap and push-pull no-load

- Charvel "speed profile" maple-capped-fretboard maple neck, Fender strat-shaped headstock

Neck feels incredibly satin and smooth; barely any finish (hand rubbed oil IIRC) there.

22 medium jumbo frets, rolled fretboard edges, no fretwork needed

- recessed Floyd Rose 1000 (Korean) - L3 nut (R3 for the righties out there)

- All black hardware

- Made in Fender Ensenada plant, Baja Cali (Mexico).

My take:

Plays excellent, neck feels excellent, frets feel excellent.

Hardware feels... middle of the road, but I'm not surprised.

Floyd 1000 stays in tune.

I do not care the the Distortions; they're okay once you EQ things, but there's too much "hash" in the upper midrange, at least with the stock wound strings on there (unknown manufacturer) which makes the lower 5,6 string power chords and such sound "hashy" and not clear on the top end of the EQ spectrum. I use nickel-plated strings (GHS Burnished), so maybe these strings are the brighter steel plated type.

But that's no biggie because I'm modding this puppy anyways.

I'll be replacing all hardware with chrome:

- OFR chrome with pop in arm and fat brass block
- Hipshot chrome locking (yes, locking - because makes changing strings a breeze) tuners
- Custom pickguard by WD Custom
- Chrome knobs
- Chrome 3 way switch tip
etc

Pickups will be my 80's JBJ in the bridge and a new SH-10n in the neck

So, my whole goal here again was to get a good player guitar with good "bones" (shreddy style) and gut it and put what I want in/on it.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: NGFMD: Charvel Pro Mod So Cal Style 1 HH FR

Post by harddriver »

Congrats on the new fiddle III... 8-) I had a Charvel Pro Mod like yours that I got in a trade and it was definitely a solid guitar... I think mine was an Alder body and it had good resonance to it, way better than the basswood bodies that the EVH line uses.

The 1000 series floyd on mine stayed in tune good but it did feel like a step down in quality of an original floyd. It was good trading material for me since I already have all my favorite Kramers and my own personal builds but it was good guitar for the price range that's for sure. I traded it for another Randall RG100ES which I just sold as well.

Can't wait to hear some new recording with it. You might want to check out an Sh-6N for the neck pickup, they run about 12-13K ohms so that might be a better match to the JB 17K.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Sounds cool from what you said. When will it be ready? You should post pics fo the process.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Yep waiting on parts.

I'll just do a before/after.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.