Pickups for a Gibson 59' 335

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Pickups for a Gibson 59' 335

Post by RockyStar »

Looking to put something different in this guitar. I am strongly considering the Duncan Candies set but am open to suggestions. Please throw me some suggestions.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Pickups for a Gibson 59' 335

Post by harddriver »

The Steckel Candies are supposed to be killer, probably perfect for a 335 IMO.

If you are looking for budget friendly pickups Jalen seems to make some good pickups for not much coin.

Maybe a set of Arcane Triple clone PAF's, they are supposed to be the closest to Tom Holmes PAF's. I had a set I never installed but I really wanted to hear them but I sold the Les Paul I got them for.

I think the Tom Holmes 455 was the best PAF clone that I have heard IMHO.

That all said I still love my SD 78 model and i think it would be killer in your 335 as well.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

harddriver wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:43 pm The Steckel Candies are supposed to be killer, probably perfect for a 335 IMO.

If you are looking for budget friendly pickups Jalen seems to make some good pickups for not much coin.

Maybe a set of Arcane Triple clone PAF's, they are supposed to be the closest to Tom Holmes PAF's. I had a set I never installed but I really wanted to hear them but I sold the Les Paul I got them for.

I think the Tom Holmes 455 was the best PAF clone that I have heard IMHO.

That all said I still love my SD 78 model and i think it would be killer in your 335 as well.
I will look into those. The Candies are on my radar for sure though. Thanks for the heads up.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I am a Duncan guy, but Al Estrada really says great things about Jalen and he has played about every pickup out there.

I think the Jalens are going for $100 bucks so I guess they would be worth a try.

I'm actually more into PAF types 9K or so lately.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

harddriver wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:57 pm I am a Duncan guy, but Al Estrada really says great things about Jalen and he has played about every pickup out there.

I think the Jalens are going for $100 bucks so I guess they would be worth a try.

I'm actually more into PAF types 9K or so lately.
I was initially considering the Suhr Thornbuckers until the Candies crossed my path.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Too bad I sold my Arcane Triple clone set last year they were brand new. I didn't install them because I figured they would sell better as new.

Yeah the Candies also have my attention. If you want grind check out the MM 1400 9K, it VH1 grind all day long almost a fuzz effect but VH1 cool but not a sweet as a genuine PAF like the Candies or 78 model. Think VH1 versus VHII...