What were Dimes pickup of choice?

harddriver
Grand Poobah

What were Dimes pickup of choice?

Post by harddriver »

I find the Bill Lawrence USA L500XL (potted in epoxy) to be more Dime than the BIll and Becky L500XL that is not potted but YMMV.

I have also read alot of good sounding clips of the Seymour Ducan Dimebucker which is like 16K versus the traditional 13K of the Bill Lawrence USA pickups.

I have one more Superstrat build to finish up and I have a BIll Lawrence L500XL and SD 59N sitting here waiting to be installed..... :lol: 8-)
WGAFISHOME
Recruit

Re: What were Dimes pickup of choice?

Post by WGAFISHOME »

I honestly think these are the pickups you're searching for as this was no doubt Dime's choice too. :D :lol: :D :lol:
And why wouldn't it be!

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:53 pm I find the Bill Lawrence USA L500XL (potted in epoxy) to be more Dime than the BIll and Becky L500XL that is not potted but YMMV.

I have also read alot of good sounding clips of the Seymour Ducan Dimebucker which is like 16K versus the traditional 13K of the Bill Lawrence USA pickups.

I have one more Superstrat build to finish up and I have a BIll Lawrence L500XL and SD 59N sitting here waiting to be installed..... :lol: 8-)
I had a Dean ML with a Bill Lawrence USA L500XL in the bridge position. It measured 11.2K Ω ymmv.

Quite a few years ago, I called Bill and Becky to try one of their pickups. Bill was dead by then. Becky tried to talk me out of the pickup I wanted, telling me I needed a different one of their pickups.

She wouldn't tell me the D.C. resistance of the pickup.. instead she told me the inductance. Wouldn't (or couldn't) tell me the magnet used in it either.

:roll:
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

PLX wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:13 pm
harddriver wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:53 pm I find the Bill Lawrence USA L500XL (potted in epoxy) to be more Dime than the BIll and Becky L500XL that is not potted but YMMV.

I had a Dean ML with a Bill Lawrence USA L500XL in the bridge position. It measured 11.2K Ω ymmv.

Quite a few years ago, I called Bill and Becky to try one of their pickups. Bill was dead by then. Becky tried to talk me out of the pickup I wanted, telling me I needed a different one of their pickups.

She wouldn't tell me the D.C. resistance of the pickup.. instead she told me the inductance. Wouldn't (or couldn't) tell me the magnet used in it either.

:roll:
Sounds like a GC or Sweetwater "Rep".
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I guess according to an interview Dime said he always bought his L500XL's from Stew Mac and I guess that in the late 80's early 90's Stew Mac only carried the Bill Lawrence USA model of L500XL.