Jalen Pickups

lll
Middle Manager

Re: Jalen Pickups

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:03 pm PLX if you didn't like that pickup with an A-5 you probably won't like it with the A-8 but it's worth the experiment if you want to hear it.

I just noticed in that ad that Seymour already had a Duncan Distortion pickup at that time. What's the year on that ad? 1979/1980?

I always heard the JB was his first high output offering then the Seymourizer then the Seymourizer II then the Custom and Distortion followed.
The year is 1979 (October).

Then a few months later, the Van Halen name was scrubbed from the ad.

Jas Obrecht's early Ed interview tells the story (via Ed) about (this is off of my memory, not verbatim):

"picking up the latest Guitar Player mag and finding a pickup maker in Santa Barbara (Seymour) who had done pickup winding for him (Ed) putting his (Ed's) name on a pickup (the Custom) in the magazine ad. So I (Ed) called him up (Seymour) and said "what the hell, man". He took the name (Van Halen) off of it."

December 1979 Guitar Player ad without "VAN HALEN"
1.JPG
2.JPG
I'm gonna post this up in the VH section. I know this is knowledge known by some, but still good reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

SH-4 = JB
SH-5 = Custom
SH-6 = Distortion
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:21 pm SH-4 = JB
SH-5 = Custom
SH-6 = Distortion
The Duncan Custom-Custom is the SH-11, right ?
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:58 pm
lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:21 pm SH-4 = JB
SH-5 = Custom
SH-6 = Distortion
The Duncan Custom-Custom is the SH-11, right ?
Yes, and there are three pickups that use the same Custom wind, just different magnets:

SH-5 Custom (Ceramic)
SH-11 Custom Custom (A2) - works well with Floyd Rose bridge
SH-14 Custom 5 (A5) - created by the SDUGF members

The SH-14 doesn't factor in as far as EVH talk goes... nothing to do with him

But the SH-5 and SH-11 do.

So, the SH-11 is simply an SH-5 with an A2 magnet.

My theory is SH-5 on 1st (and possibly 2nd) album, although the '78 model (formerly called Evenly Voiced Harmonics) maybe on 2nd album instead).

And SH-11 on Fair Warning up to 1984... or whatever albums Ed had the (then new) Floyd Rose bridge on.
Last edited by lll on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:01 pm Yes, and there are three pickups that use the same Custom wind, just different magnets:

SH-5 Custom (Ceramic)

Ok, so the SH-14 is the "hybrid" where you take coil off a Custom/'59 and make a humbucker out of it :?:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:06 pm
lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:01 pm Yes, and there are three pickups that use the same Custom wind, just different magnets:

SH-5 Custom (Ceramic)

Ok, so the SH-14 is the "hybrid" where you take coil off a Custom/'59 and make a humbucker out of it :?:
No, the Hybrid is just called the Custom/59 Hybrid or something. That's the newest concoction.

IIRC the SH-14 was "invented" in the early 2Ks. I had bought one; didn't like it - super scooped and no mids.

AFAIK, the Hybrid came after that - maybe 2K10s.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:08 pm No, the Hybrid is just called the Custom/59 Hybrid or something. That's the newest concoction.

IIRC the SH-14 was "invented" in the early 2Ks. I had bought one; didn't like it - super scooped and no mids.

AFAIK, the Hybrid came after that - maybe 2K10s.
Ok, that sounds about right.

I think I made mine right after it became "a thing" on the Seymour Duncan forum.

I actually made 2 pickups. One was the spec'ed out "Hybrid" and the other was the leftover parts.. I guess the "Reverse Hybrid". :D
ccn
FNG

Post by ccn »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:09 pm
harddriver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:03 pm PLX if you didn't like that pickup with an A-5 you probably won't like it with the A-8 but it's worth the experiment if you want to hear it.
I love this pickup :lol:

I played the Duncan "hybrid" pcikup for years when I was playing in my old cover band "Five And A Half Inch Nails"

After that, I had Jeff build me one of his "brownsound' pickups, and I asked for the A2 magnet because I was playing thru a modeling amp back then.

It just sounds weak now compared to the Super 70.. not to mention I'm now playing thru a whole different rig.

LOL