Jalen Pickups

PLX
Executive

Re: Jalen Pickups

Post by PLX »

So, I rummaged through my box of pickups and I have a collection of A5 magnets, Ceramic, A2, but no A8.

:|

A2 have a blue dot painted on one end

A3 have a green dot painted on one end

A4 have a yellow dot painted on one end

A5 have a red dot painted on one end

A8 have a white dot painted on one end
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Ordered a rough-cast Alnico 8 magnet to swap out the Alnico 2 in my Floyd equipped guitar with asymmetric-wind humbucker.

:D
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:21 pm Ordered a rough-cast Alnico 8 magnet to swap out the Alnico 2 in my Floyd equipped guitar with asymmetric-wind humbucker.

:D
That's cool pay attention to the ploarity of the old one to make sure you have the new magnet oriented with the N/S plority is the same. Usually they mark new magnets but you need to know how the old one has been oriented. You can ask the High Order guy since you have a good relationship with him. I'm sure there are some vids on YT somewhere explaining this.

YOU SHOULD STILL BUY THE JALEN FAIR WARNING PICKUP PLX! says in his best HYPNOTIC voice.................. ;)

How am I doing????? :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:29 pm That's cool pay attention to the ploarity of the old one to make sure you have the new magnet oriented with the N/S plority is the same. Usually they mark new magnets but you need to know how the old one has been oriented. You can ask the High Order guy since you have a good relationship with him. I'm sure there are some vids on YT somewhere explaining this.
Yeah, he said the polarity can be sensed by a compass, which I have.

Jeff is on all the gear forums (including this one :D ) as "Winder".

The A8 magnet was $10 shipped, so it's an inexpensive experiment. I have a theory that it's less about the DC resistance of the pickup and more about the balance (or imbalance) of the coils and the resonant peak as far as the "character" of the pickup.

Example: my Super 70 measures 8.1kΩ, and the pickup I'm doing the magnet swap in measures 8.7kΩ ..

The difference between the two, plugged into the exact same signal chain is like night and day.

Jeff told me that swapping in an A8 mag will probably result in a slightly higher output than my Super 70 pickup.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Jeff was on our old, small Google group called the ABC List (amp board conservatives) back in the day.

Jeff wound me a pair of "Lizardbuckers" which were excellent

You should invite him over here if he's interested.

===

BTW, if you VH heads haven't tried the SH-5 Custom for 1st album tones, do so now before trying anything else.

SH-5 = "PAF on steroids" as the old ad said.

I bought the 1979 October edition of Guitar Player with the infamous Seymour Duncan Research Laboratory ad that Ed got pissed off about.

This pickup has actual provenance - it was tied to Van Halen's name, if only briefly:
GP Oct 79 pg 17 a.jpg
GP Oct 79 pg 17 b.jpg
GP Oct 79 pg 17 c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:42 pm Jeff was on our old, small Google group called the ABC List (amp board conservatives) back in the day.

BTW, if you VH heads haven't tried the SH-5 Custom for 1st album tones, do so now before trying anything else.
Yeah, I just looked and you're correct.

I thought he was on here. :?

What's the LizardBucker ?
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm
lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:42 pm Jeff was on our old, small Google group called the ABC List (amp board conservatives) back in the day.

Yeah, I just looked and you're correct.

I thought he was on here. :?

What's the LizardBucker ?
Clone set of the SD Seth Lover set. A2 PAFs
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:56 pmClone set of the SD Seth Lover set. A2 PAFs
Ahh, ok.

Yeah I have tried (and still have):

Duncan '59
Duncan Custom-Custom
Duncan Custom
and I built the "Hybrid" by taking apart and re-assembling a coil from the Custom and a coil from the '59

Was looking at all of those yesterday while rummaging through my box of old pickups. :lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX if you didn't like that pickup with an A-5 you probably won't like it with the A-8 but it's worth the experiment if you want to hear it.

I just noticed in that ad that Seymour already had a Duncan Distortion pickup at that time. What's the year on that ad? 1979/1980?

I always heard the JB was his first high output offering then the Seymourizer then the Seymourizer II then the Custom and Distortion followed.

OH I see the date October 1979 for that ad........... 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:03 pm PLX if you didn't like that pickup with an A-5 you probably won't like it with the A-8 but it's worth the experiment if you want to hear it.
I love this pickup :lol:

I played the Duncan "hybrid" pcikup for years when I was playing in my old cover band "Five And A Half Inch Nails"

After that, I had Jeff build me one of his "brownsound' pickups, and I asked for the A2 magnet because I was playing thru a modeling amp back then.

It just sounds weak now compared to the Super 70.. not to mention I'm now playing thru a whole different rig.