Jalen Pickups

PLX
Executive

Jalen Pickups

Post by PLX »

Anyone recall what was the custom-wound Jalen brand pickup that Jim Gaustad had him make for the VH tone videos ?

:?

edit: As soon as I ask, someone answers me.. :lol:

Jalen Guitar FW Humbucker Double Black
https://reverb.com/item/48492516-jalen- ... uble-black
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Jalen Pickups

Post by harddriver »

Which excursion the VH1 or Fair Warning?

Jim used the Gibson Burstbucker for the first VH 1 YT excursion.

Then he had Jalen wind a JB type pickup for the Fair Warning video.

The latest VH1 excursion was a 1961 PAF with short rough cast A-5 with asymmetrical coils 7.8K ohms resistance to resemble the neck pickup out of that Gibson 335.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:29 am Which excursion the VH1 or Fair Warning?

Jim used the Gibson Burstbucker for the first VH 1 YT excursion.

Then he had Jalen wind a JB type pickup for the Fair Warning video.

The latest VH1 excursion was a 1961 PAF with short rough cast A-5 with asymmetrical coils 7.8K ohms resistance to resemble the neck pickup out of that Gibson 335.
I shared this YouTube clip at the exact time where he gives the pickup specs:

Wound to ~15.5kΩ with mismatched coils and a short rough cast Alnico 5 mag
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Are you getting one?

I almost snagged an 1980 Duncan 59B wound by MJ that measured 7.8Kohms. They wanted $150 for it I went back to make an offer and it was gone. :evil:
Last edited by harddriver on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:07 am Are you getting one?

I almost snagged and 1980 Duncan 59B wound by MJ that measured 7.8Kohms. They wanted $150 for it I went back to make an offer and it was gone. :evil:
I'm talking with Jeff @ HighOrder about a magnet swap in my asymmetric wind "brown sound" pickup he made for me many years ago.

It has an A2 in it right now, but when I switch to that guitar without changing anything else in my signal chain, that pickup sounds weak and anemic. :x

He said I could go with an A8 magnet in it, and that would be 3 times stronger than the A2 mag.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I swapped an Alnico 8 into one of my spare Seymourizer II's and it squeals now and I don't think the A-8 improved anything. This is late 78/79 early 80's pickup and Seymour was using a Short thick rough cast ceramic that I pulled out of it. I'm probably going to reinstall the ceramic but I I can't find the wooden space I pulled out ten years ago............ :evil:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

If you kinda like your low output Brown sound pickup I would keep it as is. For what Jalen charges I would just buy the Jalen FW pickup since you seem to like it and you've heard it and it sound good. You can always sell the HO pickup to recoup something........ ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:25 am I swapped an Alnico 8 into one of my spare Seymourizer II's and it squeals now and I don't think the A-8 improved anything. This is late 78/79 early 80's pickup and Seymour was using a Short thick rough cast ceramic that I pulled out of it. I'm probably going to reinstall the ceramic but I I can't find the wooden space I pulled out ten years ago............ :evil:
I'm sure at this point we all have a box of pickups.. :roll:

I know I do.

I prolly have some ceramic mags, A8's, A5's how the hell would I tell what's what ? I have no idea :lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I write on all of mine with a sharpie or tape and sharpie. I just picked up up an N/S polarity tester to get the orientation right, that might be my issue when I put the A-8 in but it's a thinner A-8 compared to the short rough cast ceramic that I pulled out. I don't remember if I paid attention to the polarity when I did the A-8.

If you like the Jalen FW get it... I think it sounds great and I tend to hate JB's............. :lol:

Although I have a Allan Holdsworth(JB with both coils with screws) instead of a slug coil in my Jake E Lee guitar. Otherwise I usually hate JB's.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

GET the JALEN FAIR WARNING PICKUP PLX!...................said the hypnotist............... :P :lol: