Magnet Swap

PLX
Executive

Re: Magnet Swap

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:22 pm I know you like NUNO tone and Ed tone and you don't have an Ed specific guitar. So I am going to throw this out there to you and III has also made the same suggestion.

There is one pickup that can do a great NUNO and EVH tone and that is the Seymour Duncan SH-5 14K. If you can find an old one all the better with the short rough cast ceramic magnet but there is nothing wrong with the newer ones IMHO.

Just some food for thought.....you may have already tried an SH-5 Custom I don't know you have never said.

I do think Ed used 7-9K PAF.s Mighty Mites 1400 maybe 1300's and the super 70 on VH1 and VHII and probably went to higher output pickups to ditch the EQ's. I could be wrong but It's a theory.

WACF is supposedly Chris Holmes's Ibanez Destroyer.
Well, Ed played a "star" guitar made by Wayne Charvel. And if you think about the "shark" guitar, that's pretty much where Ed was going with that body shape.

Dean just took the front end of an "explorer" and the back end of a "V" and jammed 'em together to make the "ML". :D

All of us chase these tones because they sound great on the records. But we all really want is "our tone".. whatever that might be.

Along the way of modding amps, buying pedals and sundry tone chasing I have found tones that I love playing thru, and it's so much fun to just play through it that I forget what the hell I was chasing and just use the tone I discovered to be inspired to write music and play. :D
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:56 pm
All of us chase these tones because they sound great on the records. But we all really want is "our tone".. whatever that might be.

I never fell into that RED HERRING of an argument/statement..........I love Ed's tone and if I can cop it... I'll play it all day long in a cover band! :lol:

That being said I never drug my plexi to one gig, it was always my 79 Marshall and after 2003 it was my Splawn modded Marshall which also ushered in the last band I was in. I had gotten married in 2003 and the band dudes were acting like they weren't married and wanted weekly practice and gigging on all my free weekends from work. Even during the holidays and Christmas, these guys were my age at the time, mid 30's......... :roll:

I finally told them I couldn't do it not matter how much fun it was........... :(
Last edited by harddriver on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I'm just saying if you want some middle ground with a pickup I think the Duncan SH-5 Custom probably would fit the bill for you.

But if you did that then you couldn't justify a N4 Nuno sig guitar so I completely agree with your approach....GENIUS PLX PURE GENIUS! :lol: ;)

"But Honey all my guitar sound like ED!".................... :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:31 pm ..I never fell into that RED HERRING of an argument/statement..........I love Ed's tone and if I can cop I'll play it all day long in a cover band! :lol: ..
Well, that was me back in the 90's.

I played all the time. I was in various cover bands. Houston never had a "music scene" like Austin or other cities.

We played at "Cardies" and places like that. Private parties.. whatever gigs we could get.

But yeah, back then it was all about having a tone where you could passably play Van Halen songs, STP, Megadeth, Pantera, AIC, so on and so forth.. just by switching on/off a pedal or two. Ten years later it was all floor controllers with pre-programmed patches that would let you dial-in specific tones.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

PLX wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:56 pm
harddriver wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:22 pm I know you like NUNO tone and Ed tone and you don't have an Ed specific guitar. So I am going to throw this out there to you and III has also made the same suggestion.

There is one pickup that can do a great NUNO and EVH tone and that is the Seymour Duncan SH-5 14K. If you can find an old one all the better with the short rough cast ceramic magnet but there is nothing wrong with the newer ones IMHO.

Just some food for thought.....you may have already tried an SH-5 Custom I don't know you have never said.

I do think Ed used 7-9K PAF.s Mighty Mites 1400 maybe 1300's and the super 70 on VH1 and VHII and probably went to higher output pickups to ditch the EQ's. I could be wrong but It's a theory.

WACF is supposedly Chris Holmes's Ibanez Destroyer.
Well, Ed played a "star" guitar made by Wayne Charvel. And if you think about the "shark" guitar, that's pretty much where Ed was going with that body shape.

Dean just took the front end of an "explorer" and the back end of a "V" and jammed 'em together to make the "ML". :D

Along the way of modding amps, buying pedals and sundry tone chasing I have found tones that I love playing thru, and it's so much fun to just play through it that I forget what the hell I was chasing and just use the tone I discovered to be inspired to write music and play. :D
Funny how that happens...
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

You did a magnet swap... post your magnet swap experience on Soymore Duncan and you'll be revered as a god.

(Just don't post your pedal builds or amp mods, because that doesn't count with them)
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

lll wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:56 pm You did a magnet swap... post your magnet swap experience on Soymore Duncan and you'll be revered as a god.

(Just don't post your pedal builds or amp mods, because that doesn't count with them)
Sounds like the forum has grown a bit from the typical soy, pot, beer and pizza, ear fatigue gang bang of a place it was. #progress
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:56 pm You did a magnet swap... post your magnet swap experience on Soymore Duncan and you'll be revered as a god.

I thought about joining there, but they'd probably just crap on everything I post, and then perma-bant me. :lol: