Gibson 57 Goldtop

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Gibson 57 Goldtop

Post by RockyStar »

I have decided to change pickups in this guitar. I was thinking Suhr Aldrich or BKP Rebel Yells. I can't go wrong with either but I also can't decide between the two so I figured I would torture myself even further by asking opinions and why you have said opinion OR even a different option than I have listed. Nothing on the vintage side for this one. Looking for something tighter and heavier than the usual tan pants crowd suggestions. :mrgreen:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Gibson 57 Goldtop

Post by harddriver »

Motor City Detroiter, Angel Dust?

Check out Redplated clips he is using an Alternative 8 Seymour Duncan that uses an AlNicCo 8 magnet, killer high output pickup IMHO might be worth checking out.

Here's a write up review I lifted from some site....... 17.68Kohms that hotter than a JB but in the range of a Suhr Aldrich.

Not content with releasing the Blackout and Livewire active pickups with unprecedented power, Seymour Duncan has unleashed the SH-15 Alternative 8 passive humbucker. The 8 in the Alternative 8’s name is derived from its Alnico 8 (Aluminium/nickel/cobalt alloy) magnet, and this pickup marks the first time this magnet has been used by Seymour Duncan.
The Alternative 8 has a DC resistance of 17.68k, making it one of the hottest passive humbuckers in Seymour Duncan’s history, almost stepping on the toes of the mighty Distortion Parallel Axis, a ceramic magnet humbucker which weighs in at an imposing 21.3 k. The pickup features hot coils wound for maximum output, enhanced further by the natural qualities of the Alnico magnet. While a ceramic magnet might sound tight and bitey, Alnico adds warmth and presence to the true midrange as well as the upper mids, while taming the fizzy buzz factor.
Seymour Duncan rates the pickup’s tonal response as Treble: 9; Midrange: 8; and Bass: 7, with a resonant peak at 4.46 KHz. In contrast, the famed Alnico II humbucker favoured by Slash has a DC resistance of 7.6k, and its tonal response breaks down to Treble: 8; Midrange 4; and Bass: 7, with a resonant peak at 7.1KHz, resulting in a more open, airy tone more suited to bands with multiple guitars.

I tested the Alternative 8 in a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard through my Marshall DSL50 all-valve half stack. I usually keep the Marshall’s gain at about half way, and goose the input with an overdrive pedal for a little extra fullness and body depending on the guitar and pickups. This certainly wasn’t needed with the Alternative 8. This pickup is loud, chunky and gutsy. It’s ideally suited for single guitar bands, especially when the guitarist really wants to be noticed. The tone is bright and full, with lots of midrange ‘poke,’ making it a great pickup for lead playing. The dynamic response is a little squashed at medium gain levels – picking harder doesn’t increase the volume, but it fills out the bottom end of the tone response nicely. The pickup’s natural compression also makes it great for legato techniques.
Options include a nickel or gold plated cover, if you don’t like the exposed coil look, and the pickup can be ordered in standard or trembucker size (more info here), the latter spaced for Fender-style or Floyd Rose-equipped guitars. It’s important to buy the right size for your guitar, because if the pole pieces of the pickup don’t line up with the strings, you risk a cataclysmic mismatch in volume from one string to another.

This is one of those pickups that rewards the player for putting in a little more detail and finesse. Every little phrasing choice is presented loud and proud for the audience to hear, which can be either intimidating or liberating depending on your approach. But if you have the guts to take on this monster, it’s well worth the tonal payoff.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Interesting info on the Alternative 8.

I think I am leaning more towards the BKP Rebel Yell over the Aldrich out of those two. I am still pondering other pickups however my gut is telling me to go with the Rebel Yells.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I always found the BKP to be a little sterile sounding, but YMMV.

James Lugo used to get some killer tones out of his Wagner American Steele pickups but he has some other High Ouput p/u's that seem to sound great.

Maybe look into a higher output Arcanes, I guess he learned pickup building from Tom Holmes one of the best.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

I have a few guitars with various BKP's in them and like them. I am not from the mindset that such and such pickup works all the time in every guitar (similar type and woods). My Knaggs Steve Stevens SS2 guitars have the Rebel Yells in them and they sound outstanding. While each of those guitars sounds a bit different from each other and the 57 Gold Top is different as well, I do believe it could be a nice fit. I am still kicking ideas around though. :mrgreen:
panhead
Recruit

Post by panhead »

Sheptone tributes
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

panhead wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:51 amSheptone tributes
Are these on the vintage side? Seems like they are.
panhead
Recruit

Post by panhead »

8 to 8.5 hotter than you would think. Been using them for years, Norum says the best pickup he ever tortured.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

panhead wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:09 pm 8 to 8.5 hotter than you would think. Been using them for years, Norum says the best pickup he ever tortured.
I will keep those in mind, thank you for the heads up. For this guitar I was looking at something more modern sounding, tight etc. to handle the chugs and still have note/string separation and fullness on chords as well.