Front or Rear?

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Front or Rear?

Post by RockyStar »

How do you prefer your cabs? Front or rear loaded?

For certain amps I like front loaded and for certain amps I like rear loaded. I think it all depends on what you are going after, speaker choice, etc.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Front or Rear?

Post by harddriver »

So is that like Poker in the front and Liquor in the rear?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Sure...

That is one way to look at it.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Alright a serious answer for a serious question....

I have always preferred rear loaded cabs, my brother picked up a Carvin front loaded 4x12 and we loaded it with Greenbacks, I never could put my finger on it but that cabinet just seemed too different to my Marshalls, He finally picked up two Marshall JCM900 cabs we loaded with WGS ET65's and Celestions Anniversary 12h-30's in an x pattern, those rocked and sounded massive.

I am fairly sure the Carvin was a plywood cab and the front loaded speaker configuration I didn't like but that was my only front loaded cabinet experience so YMMV, it was alright, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it.

I guess I will stick with traditional Marshall but I'm oldskool..................................... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Nothing wrong with old school. I think a lot of it comes down to what amp, what type of tone and musical style you play and what speaker choice. In my experience, front loaded cabs are always more immediate with all variables being equal. Rear loaded cabs have some sag (to use an amp term) and bounce/warmth to them typically that the front loaded cabs may seem to be missing. Your ears often times really need to adjust or else it will seem off and not good because it is not familiar.

I genuinely think that cabs, speakers and mics make more of a difference than anything else. Get a good tone with a good tube amp (for example) and you can eq it to taste and shift flavor far more with those other variables than you ever could on the amp itself. A lot of these amps don't sound THAT much different on recording like we think they do or like they may in the room.