EAS Studios IR Packs

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

EAS Studios IR Packs

Post by RockyStar »

I wanted to give everybody a heads up on some absolutely incredible IR's. EAS Studios has released some of the best IR's out there and went to great lengths to do so in their various methods of capture. In addition, very little EQ'ing is needed if any at all. If you are looking for some great clean and compensated IR's, check these out. You won't be disappointed!

https://mirrorprofiles.myshopify.com/

Here are a few comments from EAS Studios regarding their IR's.

A ton of work went into the process of capturing these in a way that was accurate - I use various amps and load boxes and always test the IR's against mic'ing the cab up normally to make sure its as indistinguishable as possible. I absolutely owe a ton of credit for Nolly for his deep diving on speakers (and hell, how he approaches anything is inspiring), and the process I use is definitely evolved from various thing's I've seen from Nolly's (and other's) method of capturing IR's. There are quite a few decisions, assumptions and compromises you have to make with IR's so it was really about combining different techniques that gave me the result I was happiest with.

The goal was really to give a close experience to micing a cab in the studio - you have the choice of several mics, all 4 speakers, captured across the full L-R axis. At first I planned on reducing them down to the "sweet spots" but when I was using them, I found that they could all be usable in various contexts and the real strength was being able to move the mic position freely or swap a speaker get it fine tuned. Most IR's available tend to give you less options (which can be nice in some instances), but I often found myself wanting to move the mic a bit or try another speaker.

Something else that kind of validated my IR's (and felt like I was on to something) was when I could use a plugin+IR and match the tone with my real amp and cab+mics. As well as working great with load boxes (I have a Suhr, Fryette and React IR), these have been used loads with products from Neural DSP, Line 6 Helix, Fractal Audio etc so I can totally vouch for how they work with those.

The IR's are actually sold through "Mirror Profiles". EAS is my initials and a lot of my usernames are named after my studio. Most of my studio work these days is more in the pop and dance world than guitar genre's so I thought it would make things less confusing for those folk to seperate the heavy guitar orientated stuff from the pop work.

https://mirrorprofiles.myshopify.com/

Here is a comment regarding clean and compensated IR's.

Clean are the most accurate if you are using the same load as the cab (or one close to the same cab).

So if you have an amp connected to a Mesa cab, and record a DI from the amp with that load connected, the clean IR is most accurate.

The compensated IR’s are great if you’re using a loadbox that has a drastically different impedance curve to the original cab that the IR was captured from. It compensates for some of the tonal difference that the poweramp encounters when it is using a different sounding load. They’re also handy for a lot of plugins and modellers that use a fixed load - if you know the load they’ve used then you can pick an appropriate compensated IR and get a more realistic result.

In practice, they’re very small differences and often either just a slight “sweetening” or the last 1% for accuracy. It’s best just to try a few yourself and not worry too much - on some sources one just might make that extra bit of magic for the tone.

As an example, I used the compensated IR’s with the corresponding load boxes here:

If I would have used the clean IR’s throughout, there would be slightly bigger differences due to the cab, and 2 load boxes putting the amp under different loads. The React IR is quite close to a V30 4x12 load, so the compensation is less drastic than for the Suhr load which is closer to a G12m25 load.

FWIW this video was done a while after I made the IR’s and with a totally different amp, so it’s quite nice that they match the mic’d amp tone so close. I should add too - I almost always just use the clean ones. I’ll use compensated if I’m trying to match a mic’d tone very specifically but otherwise I tend not to worry about it too much. I’d just recommend trying both, I think it’s a nice option to have!