UAD OX BOX vs ST.ROCK REACT:IR vs SUHR REACTIVE LOAD/I.R.

harddriver
Grand Poobah

UAD OX BOX vs ST.ROCK REACT:IR vs SUHR REACTIVE LOAD/I.R.

Post by harddriver »

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Re: UAD OX BOX vs ST.ROCK REACT:IR vs SUHR REACTIVE LOAD/I.R.

Post by RockyStar »

Good video. I saw that when it first came out and have been gassing for the St. Rock. May as well include the Boss TAE and the Fryette Power Load IR to this equation. The Fryette is a nice piece of gear.

I love this dudes videos. Straight to the point and no bullshit.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I agree...I like his honest reviews of things if he doesn't like something he tells you why he doesn't like it. Instead of shilling for every product he get his hands on like someone we all know.

On a side note stay away from the Boss TAE it is known to blow up output transformers on amps. A couple of guys on ET lost their Wizards and SuhrSL68 using the Boss TAE and there are more instances all over the net.

I would trust Fryette products and Suhr. This St Rock seems seems quite impressive.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

harddriver wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:06 pm I agree...I like his honest reviews of things if he doesn't like something he tells you why he doesn't like it. Instead of shilling for every product he get his hands on like someone we all know.

On a side note stay away from the Boss TAE it is known to blow up output transformers on amps. A couple of guys on ET lost their Wizards and SuhrSL68 using the Boss TAE and there are more instances all over the net.

I would trust Fryette products and Suhr. This St Rock seems seems quite impressive.
Odd on the Boss TAE. I have seen a ton of people using them. Makes me wonder if the people having issues didn't wire them correct.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

RockyStar wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:25 pm
Odd on the Boss TAE. I have seen a ton of people using them. Makes me wonder if the people having issues didn't wire them correct.
Nope... these were well seasoned tube amp owners of many years. I'm mean it's possible...but I wouldn't risk an expemsive amp with one after these possible issues.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

harddriver wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:45 pm
Nope... these were well seasoned tube amp owners of many years. I'm mean it's possible...but I wouldn't risk an expemsive amp with one after these possible issues.
I hear ya. I have seen so many people using them that I find it hard to believe they would if they were damaging amps, especially with an established company like Boss. Their stuff is usually pretty solid. I have seen Satriani use them, Tremonti, several others. Maybe they can afford a fried amp, I can't... :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

I've studied these devices for years, and the thing that always gets me about all of them is that they appear to be underbuilt and overpriced.

There's just no way in hell I would do what I do with my 100W amp and run it for hours a day with the master at 5 or 6 into one of these units.

Suhr:

Rivera:

Ho Ultimate:

Weber:

Two Notes:

Universal Audio:

The Rivera and the UA are the only ones that appear to be mechanically robust enough to begin to handle to amount of energy being fed into them by a tube amp.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

RockyStar wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:02 am
harddriver wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:45 pm
I hear ya. I have seen so many people using them that I find it hard to believe they would if they were damaging amps, especially with an established company like Boss. Their stuff is usually pretty solid. I have seen Satriani use them, Tremonti, several others. Maybe they can afford a fried amp, I can't... :lol:
They may be isolated cases but the amps did blow the output transformers according to the owners and techs they took the amps to. It's just a cautionary tale if you like your amp in one piece...... ;)