PLX
Executive

Sophia Ultimate Tremolos

Post by PLX »

Watson503
Middle Manager

Re: Sophia Ultimate Tremolos

Post by Watson503 »

After watching the above looked into these and their Floyd version and gotta say I'm interested in checking these out more. Anyone have any firsthand experience with these or know anyone who has?
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Watson503 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:16 pm After watching the above looked into these and their Floyd version and gotta say I'm interested in checking these out more. Anyone have any firsthand experience with these or know anyone who has?
The thing about these systems that intrigues me is that you can buy just the sustain block portion and install on a Floyd Rose.

You still have bell brass sustain block, but their system appears to give you a workable "zero-trem" solution.. which no one has ever been able to solve to my satisfaction.

My Floyd guitar is a floating system, so when I play things like "Rivera Paradise" by SRV, you need to be able to gently shake the wiggle stick to get that effect he's doing during some of the chords.

But then when you try to do unison bends, all the other strings are pulled flat with a floating trem :x

This unit seems to solve that by just replacing the sustain block portion of your Floyd. It uses little spring-loaded bumpers mounted inside the sustain block to stabilize the trem against the routed cavity. They say it takes a little more force to pull the bar sharp (Vai, Dimebag, et.al.)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

One thing that's enticing to me about these is there's no need to clip and set the strings in the string blocks - I've switched my string blocks to titanium ones to help negate strings popping-out or breaking over time...for that and other reasons, might have to give one of these a try down the road.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Watson503 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:01 am One thing that's enticing to me about these is there's no need to clip and set the strings in the string blocks - I've switched my string blocks to titanium ones to help negate strings popping-out or breaking over time...for that and other reasons, might have to give one of these a try down the road.
Yeah, I started stringing my Floyd equipped guitar by feeding the strings thru the tuning machines and then putting the factory cut end into the string blocks in the tremolo.

That leaves you to trim the ball end off after doing your locking wind on the tuning peg.

I replaced the string blocks with the upgraded ones a long time ago after they got little ruts cut into them by the strings and certain strings would just fuckin pop out at random times. :x
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

PLX wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:23 am
Watson503 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:01 am One thing that's enticing to me about these is there's no need to clip and set the strings in the string blocks - I've switched my string blocks to titanium ones to help negate strings popping-out or breaking over time...for that and other reasons, might have to give one of these a try down the road.
Yeah, I started stringing my Floyd equipped guitar by feeding the strings thru the tuning machines and then putting the factory cut end into the string blocks in the tremolo.

That leaves you to trim the ball end off after doing your locking wind on the tuning peg.

I replaced the string blocks with the upgraded ones a long time ago after they got little ruts cut into them by the strings and certain strings would just fuckin pop out at random times. :x
^All of that!!!!!! YES!!!!!

My last guitar I bought was my Dean which came with the Floyd Rose 1000 and it wasn't even a year before the blocks started doing that and I don't even crank them down hard at all- they say it's basically the OFR but made in Korea, BUT.......

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Watson503 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:29 am ^All of that!!!!!! YES!!!!!

My last guitar I bought was my Dean which came with the Floyd Rose 1000 and it wasn't even a year before the blocks started doing that and I don't even crank them down hard at all- they say it's basically the OFR but made in Korea, BUT.......
Yeah, my Dean ATF-3000 is Korean made.. it came with the OFR Floyd and it was a piece of crap tremolo system. :x

I replaced it with a Schaller (German made) Floyd and had to do a little routing to fit it in, but it's a much better system.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

These blocks and trems look pretty nice. Somebody put their engineering cap on when they build these........... 8-) :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

I would have some concerns about those two piston contact points continually making pressure contact on the wood of the routed surface making indentations in the wood surface over time. Maybe they are soft enough I dunno, if it strong enough to push back on the trem while under trem calw spring tension then they are strong enough to indent the wood over time with repeated contacts.

Just my observation.............. :roll: :? :|
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Watson503 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:16 pm After watching the above looked into these and their Floyd version and gotta say I'm interested in checking these out more. Anyone have any firsthand experience with these or know anyone who has?
Watson your PERM turned out exsquisitely................................................. :lol: :P :P :P :P