Like I've Said Before Many Times: This Fuckin' Idiot (Securb)

The good, the bad and the incredibly stupid
PLX
Executive

Re: Like I've Said Before Many Times: This Fuckin' Idiot (Securb)

Post by PLX »

Watson503 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:30 pm 2300 McKinney St

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2300+ ... B16BAgIEAI

So not too long ago it was actually back open for business by another name but from searching it seems shut-down - there is some Facebook group dedicated to the old place hahaha

https://www.facebook.com/groups/56509523345/
Fuck Yeah :!: That's it :lol:

That smaller building jammed right up next to it with the FOR LEASE sign was the Chinese fortune cookie factory.

I think it was right on the edge of a "Chinatown" section of downtown Houston back then.

This thread pulled that memory out of oblivion for me because the electrical power in that building was all fucked up! Tube amps worked OK, but anything digital (drum machines, 4-track recorders, stomp boxes..) would have a fucking conniption fit and either not work at all, or work sometimes and not others.

I finally brought in a circuit tester and found out the building wiring was all kinds of bad.. ground faults, hot/neutral reversed.. :x
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Just checked the FB link... "Francisco Studios" Hell yeah! That was the name !

I think I was paying $100/month to rent the room. It was about 40'x25' and about 12' ceilings.

No windows. Me and the drummer worked in the Galleria area, so we would get there hours before anyone else showed. We'd smoke 2 joints, play some of the music the others guys didn't want to play (Soundgarden, AiC, Megadeth) and then smoke 2 more joints. :lol:

Fucking hell. Good times!
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

PLX wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:05 pm Just checked the FB link... "Francisco Studios" Hell yeah! That was the name !

I think I was paying $100/month to rent the room. It was about 40'x25' and about 12' ceilings.

No windows. Me and the drummer worked in the Galleria area, so we would get there hours before anyone else showed. We'd smoke 2 joints, play some of the music the others guys didn't want to play (Soundgarden, AiC, Megadeth) and then smoke 2 more joints. :lol:

Fucking hell. Good times!
That's fucking awesome! The old Axiom was right by there and all kids of freaks and weirdos haha I lived not far from the Galleria and was always in that area, I took a drive through Montrose and Highland Village and then the Galleria recently and my god, Highland Village and the Galleria were so different - homeless and drug addicts shambling-about and Highland Village was always a swanky shopping area but now...it was really sad.

Another place maybe you'd remember - off of Ashcroft a few blocks before Hilcroft near Bellaire Blvd...it was/is a rehearsal studio owned by this dude who inherited the place from his dad @ 1987 or so. In 1988 and 89 on weekends he'd open it up and in the warehouse area he'd have bands who rented there playing, always metal of some sort, $5 to get in, no ID, and a keg of beer in the center of the floor haha I started going there at 15 and would walk home sloshed as my mom and I lived not ten minutes by foot away. Place is surprisingly still there.

https://www.rockcentertx.com/
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Watson503 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:16 pm Another place maybe you'd remember - off of Ashcroft a few blocks before Hilcroft near Bellaire Blvd...it was/is a rehearsal studio owned by this dude who inherited the place from his dad @ 1987 or so. In 1988 and 89 on weekends he'd open it up and in the warehouse area he'd have bands who rented there playing, always metal of some sort, $5 to get in, no ID, and a keg of beer in the center of the floor haha I started going there at 15 and would walk home sloshed as my mom and I lived not ten minutes by foot away. Place is surprisingly still there.

https://www.rockcentertx.com/
Holy smokes :!: That old Rock 101.1 radio station logo :lol:

No recollection of that place. We used to play a bunch of the club/bar scene back then. Played at Cardi's.

Do you recall a place in Baytown called "Saturn Studios" ?? We cut an album there in the early 90's and had CD's pressed. It was fucking horrible. We couldn't give them away. :lol:

The singer was also the bass player.. guy named Byron Tipton. He was the biggest coke dealer in the west Houston area back then. He bought time at the studio with yayo. :roll:

We had a local guy named "Freddie Everett" come in as a guest, and play on the record. He had like 4 or 5 neon Ibanez guitars. He played the bar scene in west Houston. A real showman!

Used to lay his guitar on tables on top of people's drinks and shred the daylights out of it. :lol:

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Watson503 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:27 pm I know EXACTLY where you're talking about - it used to be known as the Maggot Colony! Hold on...I'll find out the exact address and current name....it is still around but been rebranded - I went with a friend to audition for a band there in 92 or so and that place was a trip! Haha!!!!
You remember what band you were there for ?

After poking around on Google I finally found some detailed info that fleshed out my memories of that place, as well as some better photos..

2300-10 McKinney St. – Houston TX (built 1924; also American Radiator & Standard Sanitary Mfg. Co.; currently Francisco Studios)

This building was built for Standard Sanitary Manufacturing Company – producing well known plumbing materials under the “Standard” brand – in 1924 – they eventually moved down the road to 2107 Walker St. in the late1940s/early 1950s.

The name changed to American Radiator & Standard Sanitary Mfg. Co. in 1929 after a merger with American Radiator. In 1967, the company changed its name to American Standard.

One evening about sunset, we were loading in from the street. Parked right in front of that door in the photos.

Some skeevy little troll-like dude who was leaning against the edge of the building, just hanging out like a homeless scumbag.

He saw me eating a hamburger when I got out of the vehicle. We had stopped and gotten fast food on the way to the room. Dude makes a bee-line for me and starts going, "Oh! you got Burger King!" and I'm thinking, "Oh what the fuck is this?"

I just looked at him, and then we started unloaded 4x12 cabs and guitar cases. Dude will not go the fuck away.. Just keeps milling about saying stupid shit like he's somehow involved in what we're doing.

Our room was up on the 3rd floor. No elevator. You had to schlep all your gear up these fucking stairs.

We get into the room. Get all the gear loaded in. There were 3 of us. I've already got my guitar on and starting to warm up my amp. The door was still open and the drummer starts to close it... troll boy from the street comes outta nowhere and jumps inside the room with us :!:

He had followed us inside the building, up the stairs and is now in the fucking room with us. :x

I'm super uncomfortable because he immediately starts looking around the room at all the musical gear, saying dumb shit, acting like all of a sudden he's in the fuckin' band.

Finally, the singer tells him we're shutting the door so we can rehearse. He's goes, "OK". And he tries to shut the door himself WHILE HE"S STILL IN THE FUCKING ROOM WITH US!"

I take off my guitar while staring laser beams at this dude, and that Kramer Striker was about to earn it's name.

Troll boy decides it's time to go back out to the street. :lol:
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

Oh man, that's hilarious!!!! I can only imagine the various freaks and weirdos and stories from that place.

I can't remember at all the name of the band but they were more of a hair metal-type band, I think they were on the second floor and I remember those damned stairs haha My friend Geoff Vaughan was trying out for them, he had been told they were looking for a guitarist so we went and I lugged his amp for him up those damned stairs - I'll never forget (and to this day Geoff still does not know how to change his own strings and fucking takes his guitars in somewhere whenever he needs a string change) Geoff was playing for them and they're just blown away because he played this heavy blues stuff and played his ass off and they say "Well, you don't fit what we play but dude, you fucking RIP!!! What are you tuned to - let's jam!" and he goes "Oh, I'm only playing on four strings - I broke two earlier..." Hahaha!
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Watson503 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:54 am Oh man, that's hilarious!!!! I can only imagine the various freaks and weirdos and stories from that place.

I can't remember at all the name of the band but they were more of a hair metal-type band, I think they were on the second floor and I remember those damned stairs haha My friend Geoff Vaughan was trying out for them, he had been told they were looking for a guitarist so we went and I lugged his amp for him up those damned stairs - I'll never forget (and to this day Geoff still does not know how to change his own strings and fucking takes his guitars in somewhere whenever he needs a string change) Geoff was playing for them and they're just blown away because he played this heavy blues stuff and played his ass off and they say "Well, you don't fit what we play but dude, you fucking RIP!!! What are you tuned to - let's jam!" and he goes "Oh, I'm only playing on four strings - I broke two earlier..." Hahaha!
I remember thinking at the time that people were actually living there, which was totally bonkers.

There was one restroom on each floor, which consisted of a toilet and a sink. The toilet on the 3rd floor was always destroyed by some animal(s) who had dropped a double-deuce in and not flushed. The sink always looked like someone was shooting up on it.

Me and the singer were approached by these two dudes one time who had a room on our floor. They came down the hallway because we were playing with the door open. They introduced themselves, and one was a bass player, the other played guitar, yadda yadda.. They listened to what we were doing for a little while.

Then they started talking about that building.. asking if we had checked out the rest of the floors. I'm like, "No, I usually just come up here to our room and lock the door, because of all the freaks wandering around." So, they start this shit about giving us a tour of the fucking place - like, "You gotta check this out!"

So we lock our door and follow these two around this shitty old building. We make our way down to the first floor and they lead us to a door that led down to a basement (which I never knew was there). They open the door and there's this spiral concrete staircase leading down a concrete hall. About 15~16 steps down the the stairs it was completely flooded. Dark, murky water.

These two fucks start trying to tell me to go down there. I'm like, "Ok my dudes. Tour's over. Thanks." Pretty sure if I had, they would have locked that door behind me and tried to steal all our gear out of our rehearsal room. The singer was a dumb, gullible shit-head who never sensed any malice out of these two, and thought they were cool dudes. :roll:

A couple of months later I was going to a nearby gas station/convenience store to get fuel. I see these two retards coming out of the store eating microwave burritos. They're walking (no car). I drive over and I'm about to holler out the window at 'em. As soon as one of them sees me, he says something to the other and they both fuckin bolt.. I mean they take off running. One of 'em dropped his fucking burrito.

I just started laughing. What the hell :?:

:lol:
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

PLX wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:31 pm
So we lock our door and follow these two around this shitty old building. We make our way down to the first floor and they lead us to a door that led down to a basement (which I never knew was there). They open the door and there's this spiral concrete staircase leading down a concrete hall. About 15~16 steps down the the stairs it was completely flooded. Dark, murky water.

These two fucks start trying to tell me to go down there. I'm like, "Ok my dudes. Tour's over. Thanks." Pretty sure if I had, they would have locked that door behind me and tried to steal all our gear out of our rehearsal room. The singer was a dumb, gullible shit-head who never sensed any malice out of these two, and thought they were cool dudes. :roll:

A couple of months later I was going to a nearby gas station/convenience store to get fuel. I see these two retards coming out of the store eating microwave burritos. They're walking (no car). I drive over and I'm about to holler out the window at 'em. As soon as one of them sees me, he says something to the other and they both fuckin bolt.. I mean they take off running. One of 'em dropped his fucking burrito.

I just started laughing. What the hell :?:

:lol:
WTF???!!!!!! Damn! I had no idea there was a basement in there but imagine that'd be JUST how it'd look HAHA!!!! Yeah man, those dudes were probably going to do just that - what a bunch of kooks! hahaha