Former Member Quotes About Seymour Duncan Forum

The good, the bad and the incredibly stupid
lll
Middle Manager

Former Member Quotes About Seymour Duncan Forum

Post by lll »

I posted this months ago in a thread, but it was buried in a wall of text. :lol:

I'm giving it its own spotlight here in light of the recent thread about SDUGF turning into an echo chamber.

Some people will read my threads on this phenomenon and undoubtedly proclaim that it's just me bitching. These quotes are proof that it's a number of people who are/were bitching, not just me.

Previously, I've shared these with the mods over there as well, so they are aware of these quotes. I also made a post in their Off Topic section stating essentially that the powers that be over there have a decision to make: support the real guitar players on the forum, or support those like Securb, Aceman, etc who use the forum as their social tea time and petri dish... and let the forum continue its death spiral.

These are actual PM messages to me from various SDUGF members who had left the forum and/or were getting tired of Securb, Aceman, etc bullshit (and note the familiar "echo chamber" comment, too:

Here's a few direct quotes from members who have expressed their extreme distaste with these useless clowns and their poseur bullshit:
Yeah, it's kind of a shame. Just doesn't feel like a techie community as much anymore. More like a club. Hell, even the mods have started parroting the same old boring recycled opinions like "the JB is a one trick pony" and "the best way to play metal is with a boosted PAF". Give me a break. I came here for years for high-level discussion of tone with an eye towards challenging expectations, not for juvenile arguments and groupthink. Plenty of that elsewheres!

Also there's something to be said for chasing tone... and then once you FIND it, try USING it. Don't just keep buying pedals and pickups and daydreaming about guitars and gathering 10 people that will cheer you on as you have package after package shipped to your house in an attempt to fill some personal void. It's like watching alcoholics chug beers together. And it's extremely disappointing to see 5 pages of responses to a thread of "what color pedal should I buy?" when legitimate issues like ground loops or broken coil wire get completely ignored. Again, this is a change in the dynamic of the forum which is fine but doesn't get me excited to show up.
In the last 1-2 years SDUGF the feel has changed significantly from "let's help each other build a great signal chain" to "yeah that's cool I guess but also 10-20 of us are going to hang out all day online together, insult people we don't like, and/or argue with anyone that disagrees with us." Yeah it will always be a thing in forums, but I'm just over the BS of people arguing for arguing's sake.
So he left the thread but deleted my response. How dare we upset the man-children.
Meh. I only stop by the board once in a while now. There's not much point in shouting into the echo chamber here these days.
Yep, your assessment is spot on. It really does feel like it's just the rowdies left and it's a bunch of circle jerk topics. Some forums come to a point where their relevance and usefulness drop off. I think this one has definitely run its course.
And yeah, as an actively gigging musician playing in bands, I feel like an outlier around here.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Re: Former Member Quotes About Seymour Duncan Forum

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:27 pm
Yeah, it's kind of a shame. Just doesn't feel like a techie community as much anymore. More like a club. Hell, even the mods have started parroting the same old boring recycled opinions like "the JB is a one trick pony" and "the best way to play metal is with a boosted PAF". Give me a break. I came here for years for high-level discussion of tone with an eye towards challenging expectations, not for juvenile arguments and groupthink. Plenty of that elsewheres!

Also there's something to be said for chasing tone... and then once you FIND it, try USING it. Don't just keep buying pedals and pickups and daydreaming about guitars and gathering 10 people that will cheer you on as you have package after package shipped to your house in an attempt to fill some personal void. It's like watching alcoholics chug beers together. And it's extremely disappointing to see 5 pages of responses to a thread of "what color pedal should I buy?" when legitimate issues like ground loops or broken coil wire get completely ignored. Again, this is a change in the dynamic of the forum which is fine but doesn't get me excited to show up.
This was the funniest shit I've read in quite some time written about the current state of these stupid gear forums :!:

:lol:
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Former Member Quotes About Seymour Duncan Forum

Post by lll »

There's more where that came from, but I think these paint the picture clearly enough.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.