Downtuned Chug Crap: All I See (Hear) On Gear Forums Anymore

The good, the bad and the incredibly stupid
lll
Middle Manager

Downtuned Chug Crap: All I See (Hear) On Gear Forums Anymore

Post by lll »

For years... maybe even a decade-plus.

Someone gets a new amp, or guitar or pedal... and if they happen to post a clip or vid (rare), it's that same old fucking boring downtuned chug crap.

Now, call me a grumpy old man if you like :lol: but really? Downtuned chug... again?

Is it possible that all of those clips/vids are actually of the same schlub playing the same schlub-chug just with different gear?

Maybe so. :lol:

Again, pointing out the obvious with the state of gear forums today... we are sooo fucked. :roll:
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Re: Downtuned Chug Crap: All I See (Hear) On Gear Forums Anymore

Post by PLX »

It's not my cup of tea either, but at the same time I have friends and family come over and see the guitars hanging on the wall and inevitably blurt out, "I wanna hear you play."

My first response is always, "No, you don't." Of course, they insist.. and then I'll go, "No, you really don't want to hear me play because you don't like the kind of music I play, and what's gonna happen is.. I'm gonna get the guitar, turn on the amp and start playing and 10 seconds later you're gonna start asking stupid questions, and asking me if I know how to play some crap that you like.. instead of what I'm playing."

"When I don't want to do that, you're going to walk back into the other room and tell everyone what an asshole I am because I won't play 20 questions with you while I'm trying to play the guitar, or because I won't play something you want to hear."

:lol:
Ritchie's Party Hat
Office Gopher

Post by Ritchie's Party Hat »

PLX wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:24 pm It's not my cup of tea either, but at the same time I have friends and family come over and see the guitars hanging on the wall and inevitably blurt out, "I wanna hear you play."

My first response is always, "No, you don't." Of course, they insist.. and then I'll go, "No, you really don't want to hear me play because you don't like the kind of music I play, and what's gonna happen is.. I'm gonna get the guitar, turn on the amp and start playing and 10 seconds later you're gonna start asking stupid questions, and asking me if I know how to play some crap that you like.. instead of what I'm playing."

"When I don't want to do that, you're going to walk back into the other room and tell everyone what an asshole I am because I won't play 20 questions with you while I'm trying to play the guitar, or because I won't play something you want to hear."

:lol:
"You raise the blade, you make the change"

"Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way"

Pink Floyd
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

It's crazy to think but it has been over a decade now of this crap - I remember seeing the idiots like that Drewsif Stalin kid (he's actually still around and has a "following" which further leads me to believe we've entered a reality akin to that Idiocracy film) doing his 8 string covers of pop songs and just the general state of shit that was popular on these forums mainly being that djent shit. Here we are in 2022 and we've further devolved to where they're just chugging on their lowest string or it's video game-sounding crap or Polyphia-inpsired crap - but mostly it is just the chugging because you'd actually have to play to play anything beyond that.

All for likes and clicks, too. These fuckers will start a thread to show-off their newest plugin or what have you and some of them have been playing for a fair amount of time and can't even play basic riffs in time....like this one dude I've seen on the forums for over ten years now that just wants to be a YouTuber so bad and spends all his money on gear and all his time on building a YT following and no time spent on becoming a better player - none, whatsoever. It's just a shitshow.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

I respect lots of different kinds of music, but I only like to play certain types of things on the guitar.

I started trying to learn an "Anthrax" tune the other day. I was listening to it, liked the way it sounded and went, "That sounds like it would be fun to play !" My other thought was, "That sounds like it would be easy for me to play.."

Fucking hell :!:

That rapid speed chugga chugga shit is NOT easy to play. :lol: It's also completely foreign to my hands and the way I spend my time practicing.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Don't get me wrong; I love a good chug. Megadeth comes to mind (tho not downtuned).

But that's all they play... that's it. Scooped mids chug. :roll:
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

I love the articulate picked stuff but despise downtuned stuff. I love the heavier stuff guitar wise but am often not a fan of the lyrics - content - vocal style. Heavy guitars with good singing is my favorite. There are some very talented folks out there now a days but I still don't gravitate to their bands etc overall. To me, good music is good music and has no shelf life. I can be happy with Dio and many others yet tire quickly with most modern bands. I like mids, I like chug, I like good songs, I like melody, I like riffs....love riffs. Music just isn't what it used to be. A lot of things IMO have ruined it.