PLX
Executive

The "Brown Sound" Quest Van Halen - WACF

Post by PLX »

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: The "Brown Sound" Quest Van Halen - WACF

Post by harddriver »

I would have guessed Mighty Mite 1300 or 1400 myself...but I can see the Super 70 because of it's bright timbre qualities and crunchiness and clankiness of those pickups.

Were the Super 70's potted or unpotted I can't remember????? :oops:

I still have a hard time believing he can get that amount of drive with an 8K Super 70 without pushing the front of the amp with an EQ either MXR or GE10. But it sure looks like he is....
PLX
Executive

Re: The "Brown Sound" Quest Van Halen - WACF

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:03 pm I would have guessed Mighty Mite 1300 or 1400 myself...but I can see the Super 70 because of it's bright timbre qualities and crunchiness and clankiness of those pickups.

Were the Super 70's potted or unpotted I can't remember????? :oops:

I still have a hard time believing he can get that amount of drive with an 8K Super 70 without pushing the front of the amp with an EQ either MXR or GE10. But it sure looks like he is....
Jeff at HighOrder pickups told me all the original Super70s he has seen were not potted.

He asked me if I wanted the clone potted or not. I opted for potted.

I was blown away by the difference in drive just changing my Dean ML's pickup to the Super70 :!: Add in the pre-amp from the EchoPlex and his rig sounds like the amount of gain I would expect.