68 plexi replica doing VH covers...

harddriver
Grand Poobah

68 plexi replica doing VH covers...

Post by harddriver »

I came across this guy on YT posting clip of his Tramble 68 plexi replica. The amp runs a low voltage power transformer like Gaustad probably around 400DCV. He's running a 13K mighty mite 1300 replica pickup into a vintage MXR flanger, Analogman modded Phase 90, Clinch EP-PRE, MXR echoplex pedal>Tramble 68 plexi amp>Suhr reactive load IR IR 1.1( whatever a 1.1 IR Is) I'm guessing greenback> into Garagband. Reverb from and Eventide H8000 not sure about delays but he is not using the Sunset sound plugins whatsover and he's getting the album tone IMHO....... ;) He originally posted these on ET so I asked him if he was using the Sunset Sound plugins and he said no. I dont know how much post EQ he did but it sounds pretty minimal to my ears. This is what I mean about getting the core tone before all the post studio EQ. I was not surprised he was using a Mighty Mite 1300 pickup either...........It's so VH1 IMHO.

PLX
Executive

Re: 68 plexi replica doing VH covers...

Post by PLX »

I saw a couple of these posted over on ET a couple days ago.

I dunno. :|

Sounds more like a generic 80's rock guitar tone rather than the 'Dutch Treat'.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I think it sounds pretty good considering he is not actually variacing the amp down he doesn't have the sag that comes with doing that. I think he has the right amount of gain it's not over the top gainy and he as to work for it like Gaustad does. He probably would get closer if he actually varaiced it down to about 300-350DCV but I don't know what his PV is actually. My 68 runs 352DCV at 90 ACV.

He also is not using any MXR 6 band EQ or a real EP3 echoplex like Gaustad.

Again I don't know how much post EQ he did so I can't say what exactly he did but the fact that he wasn't using the Sunset Sound plugins and the API 550, Pultec, Sunset sound reverbs I thought it has a pretty good core tone.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I asked him specifically if he was using any PRE or POST EQ and this was his response.

Marioverkill said:

The Mighty Mite was Ted's suggestion as my goal and favorite early VH sound is VH1.
I did see Jim's and Ossie stuff,lots of cool opinions !
I am not doing any EQ'ing . The EQ on my Mixwiz is bypassed. No EQ in GarageBand either.
The RLIR 1.1 is a Suhr G12M Greenback 4x12 C SM57 Balanced Celestion
I can't remember the preamp tubes but the power are EL34 II.
Thanks for your interest.

No POST EQ... so this is Ed CORE tone then like I thought.... Imagine what this would sound like with all the API550, Pultec and Sunset Sound or EMT plate reverbs... AKA the studion voodoo........... ;)

Has Gaustad ever posted a non EQ'd clip of his setup? I think he did a couple in the room clip showing the core tone once or twice.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:04 pmThe Mighty Mite was Ted's suggestion as my goal and favorite early VH sound is VH1.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:47 pm
harddriver wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:04 pmThe Mighty Mite was Ted's suggestion as my goal and favorite early VH sound is VH1.
Miami Vice no doubt.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

I think it's a good base tone.

Needs massaging for album tone (Pultec EQing, reverb chamber/plate, 1176, etc); wouldn't take much.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

lll wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:03 pm I think it's a good base tone.

Needs massaging for album tone (Pultec EQing, reverb chamber/plate, 1176, etc); wouldn't take much.
I call it the way I hear it lll... ;)