harddriver
Grand Poobah

He's back....The “Brown Sound" Quest Van Halen - Fair Warning

Post by harddriver »

PLX
Executive

Re: He's back....The “Brown Sound" Quest Van Halen - Fair Warning

Post by PLX »

I brought up the asymmetrically wound humbuckers for the VH tone back on MetroAmp many years ago, and was mocked endlessly for it. :D

The "brain trust" there on the EVH tone forum had come a different pickup consensus.

I like an 8.9K asymmetric wind with A2 magnets for my Floyd equipped guitar.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Did you ever try out your Super 70 pickup?

This guy keeps going back to the well of the JB wind but assymetric coils which is interesting...... pretty much the Duncan Custom hybrid people were building back a few years ago with one coil from a Duncan Custom and one from a Duncan 59 PAF pick your magnet of choice A2/A3/A-5.

One caveat is he states he states Ed used Celestion 12T75 speakers on Fair Warning but FW was recorded in 1981 and the T75 was not made until 1983 so unless Ed got some kind of prototype speakers his analysis of the speaker doesn't pan out in the timeline.

He seems to be a very methodical and measured person so I don't know how those details could have escaped him but I would say he gets pretty close to the tone with his home studio recording skills which is amazing how this digital Sunset sound plugin stuff works. 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:58 amThis guy keeps going back to the well of the JB wind but assymetric coils which is interesting...... pretty much the Duncan Custom hybrid people were building back a few years ago with one coil from a Duncan Custom and one from a Duncan 59 PAF pick your magnet of choice A2/A3/A-5.
I built one of those.. prolly around 2001~2002. I still have it in a box of pickups on a shelf right behind me. :D

It was the first time I had played thru an asymmetric wind humbucker, and I really liked it. I tried to start several discussions about it on the MetroAmp forum, but Phil Easterling (Strat78) and his little crew just shit all over it. :roll:

The interesting thing that came out of me starting that thread was; I got a private message from "Winder" on the metro forum (Jeff from HighOrder Pickups). We had a nice conversation about unbalanced coils in humbucking pickups. I bought one of his "VH style" winds and I still play it to this day.

8.9KΩ, asymmetric coils, A2 magnet.

It's like the guy in the video is saying.. it has the qualities of a single coil, but the punch of a humbucker. There's really nothing quite like it :!:

harddriver wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:58 amOne caveat is he states he states Ed used Celestion 12T75 speakers on Fair Warning but FW was recorded in 1981 and the T75 was not made until 1983 so unless Ed got some kind of prototype speakers his analysis of the speaker doesn't pan out in the timeline.

He seems to be a very methodical and measured person so I don't know how those details could have escaped him but I would say he gets pretty close to the tone with his home studio recording skills which is amazing how this digital Sunset sound plugin stuff works. 8-)
It happens to us all as we age. :roll: I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

harddriver wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:58 amDid you ever try out your Super 70 pickup?
No. I've been playing video games on the XBox. :oops:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:58 am which is amazing how this digital Sunset sound plugin stuff works. 8-)
I've had that plugin for about a year now IK Multimedia - great stuff includes the 3 rooms, 3 chambers, plates, spring verbs and all the fixins.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:49 pm
It happens to us all as we age. :roll: I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

harddriver wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:58 amDid you ever try out your Super 70 pickup?
No. I've been playing video games on the XBox. :oops:
It's because you are playing too much X-BOX................................... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

That was a long video.. I watched it in 10~15 minute segments because I was busy trying to kill a cougar with a stick of dynamite.

Anyways.. finally finished watching. The plugins he's using are interesting; not to mention the way he is using them (barely at all - just passing signal thru them). I have most of them, but now I'm thinking about getting the NLS Channel, the API 550, and the Pultec EQP-1a.

Also, interesting that he's not re-biasing the amp at 68 VAC. I run my Plexi clone at 89 volts off a Tenma 10A variac, but I have always re-biased the amp when I do this.

He's really getting the tone, although his VH chops are a little rusty ( no judgement ). I really appreciate the information he's sharing :!: