Ep. 110 - EVH Deep Dive with Jim Gaustad!

PLX
Executive

Re: Ep. 110 - EVH Deep Dive with Jim Gaustad!

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:47 pm The last page of that thread is hilarious :lol:
Yeah.

I finally made it through the 17 pages, and by page 4 I remembered why I quit reading MetroAmp forum.

:lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I can't believe I sat through three hours of conversation about EVH, and I enjoyed every minute of it.................. :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:30 am I can't believe I sat through three hours of conversation about EVH, and I enjoyed every minute of it.................. :lol:
Yeah. Good stuff.

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend why more people haven't listened to what Allen is saying about these tuning offsets. :?

I got a Peterson Stroboscope tuner and tried them back in 2014 and had my mind blown. The implications were astounding to me. Why did Ed do this?

Why the hell would he go to these lengths to make these minute tuning alterations on each fucking song :?:

When you try them, you realize what he was doing, and why.

Allen is a weird dude. After I figured it out, I tried to talk to him about via PM on MetroAmp forum. He flatly told me, "I don't care to speculate as to why Ed tuned this way. I just want to document this info accurately."

:|
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:39 am
harddriver wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:30 am I can't believe I sat through three hours of conversation about EVH, and I enjoyed every minute of it.................. :lol:
Yeah. Good stuff.

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend why more people haven't listened to what Allen is saying about these tuning offsets. :?

I got a Peterson Stroboscope tuner and tried them back in 2014 and had my mind blown. The implications were astounding to me. Why did Ed do this?

Why the hell would he go to these lengths to make these minute tuning alterations on each fucking song :?:

When you try them, you realize what he was doing, and why.

Allen is a weird dude. After I figured it out, I tried to talk to him about via PM on MetroAmp forum. He flatly told me, "I don't care to speculate as to why Ed tuned this way. I just want to document this info accurately."

:|
WEIRD!!!!!! Like Ed called him and told him why he did all this, c'mon that almost Chris Merren and Terry Kilgore territory...... :lol:

Not surprising he always seemed a little off but I didn't interact with him too much, I wasn't on there as much as I was from 2005-2010 after 2010 I would drop in there now and again, without Ralle, Rgalpin, BMF5150 and others that made it fun they next generation wasn't into sharing info and trying outlandish things, once Rockstah started pimping the mods 5 and removing all his posts and being a dick to everyone all of a sudden it was kind of offputting really.

I believe you but deliberate seperate tuning for each song that's pretty labor intensive for a first album kind of thing, he definitely used one tuning for live shows, I tried the cent tunings that Gaustad proposed the the higher strings were way too low at -9 cents at least by my tuner.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:03 am WEIRD!!!!!! Like Ed called him and told him why he did all this, c'mon that almost Chris Merren and Terry Kilgore territory...... :lol:
I bought tubes from Terry, and I tried to buy a transformer from Chris. Aside from that, I never had much interaction with those two guys.

But, I'm not sure where that animus is coming from. All Allen did was correctly transcribe the chord voicings Ed used on specific songs, and along with knowing the points of the song where you hear an open string.. he deduced these tuning offsets.

I mean, it's not witchcraft or some delusion on Allen's part. If you try it you realize he's right.

The problem with the attitude on MetroAmp you read in the 2014 thread is; none of these turds tried it, they just go about trashing the idea. Probably because they prefer to think Ed just tuned by ear, because that's the lazy, half-assed approach they themselves take. :lol:

harddriver wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:03 am Not surprising he always seemed a little off but I didn't interact with him too much, I wasn't on there as much as I was from 2005-2010 after 2010 I would drop in there now and again, without Ralle, Rgalpin, BMF5150 and others that made it fun they next generation wasn't into sharing info and trying outlandish things, once Rockstah started pimping the mods 5 and removing all his posts and being a dick to everyone all of a sudden it was kind of offputting really.
Allen said in the live chat of the video in the OP, the "golden age" of MetroAmp was 2008~2010.. I strongly disagree - and I have told him as much.
I joined there about a month after Strat78 did.. Dec 2004. Those were the days.

Mark A. (rockstah) recorded really good sound clips, and had the VH chops to make it convincing. He pestered the few truly knowledgeable people on the forum into helping him learn to mod Marshall's, then launched his own website to sell his mods and in turn ..alienated everyone on MetroAmp forum.

In my experience, "leadguy" and "SMD" helped me more than any other people there.

harddriver wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:03 am I believe you but deliberate seperate tuning for each song that's pretty labor intensive for a first album kind of thing, he definitely used one tuning for live shows, I tried the cent tunings that Gaustad proposed the the higher strings were way too low at -9 cents at least by my tuner.
And this is key.. Unless a person has tried these tunings, matches up the correct tuning with the specific song, and can play the songs using the same chord voicings Ed did, none of this will make any damn sense to you. I totally get that.

I tried these on several songs and instantly extrapolated that you could come up with a tuning offset to correct the fact that "the guitar is not a perfect instrument", as Ed was quoted saying in multiple interviews.

When "garbeaj" first put this concept out on MetroAmp, I was already looking for a better tuner. As a person who had been playing guitar since 1973. I'd had everything from from those retarded "pitch pipes" to the early digital tuners, stomp-box tuners, yadda yadda..

When I heard for myself how this worked (long before Ed's guitar tech published his "live" tunings) I was able to come up with what I think of as an "everyday" tuning.

Chords ring and resonate in perfect tune all the way up and down the neck.. You can't make a dyad or triad "beat". No shelf nut, no special intonation..

It's all math. And it's all about figuring out why the guitar, and why so-called "standard" tuning sounds the way it does with chord work. You can call it "sweetened" if that works for you, but to me it's an elegant compromise that does not cause the guitar to sound out of tune with other instruments (because the string pitch changes are microtonal), but causes the guitar to sound in tune with itself.