Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love Test

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love Test

Post by harddriver »

I got all my chores done early in the day so I had a great jam today with my 68 Ed spec Marshall thanks to you guys... :mrgreen: I used my 83 Kramer with a 1400 Mighty Mite 9K pickup, Effects order was this Guitar>MXR Phase 90>Clinch EP-PRE>Chase Secret Preamp(both set to late/Dark mode)>Ibanex echomachine 100ms slapback>Boss GE7 set to sound like a MXR 6band)>68 Metro Ed spec amp>Rivera Rockcrusher set to -8Db>Marshall dry 16 ohm cabinet with Celestion 12h-30's 55Hz>16 ohm 400 watt resistive load box in parrallel/two power tubes pulled into an 8ohm total load so 47K NFB on 4 ohm tap as my NFB is on the speaker jack like a Super Bass.

I revisited the two EP3 preamp in series( AS PLX mentioned) like Ed did with EP3 echoplexes and it does seem to round things out some and definitely pushes more gain and they do this phase thing that is hard to explain)It's been years since I ran two EPPRE's in series...it seemed more effective than I remembered.

Ala III's suggestion I ran the Eventide mix a 50% and A pitch at 1.000cents and B pitch at .999 so no detune really and I'll be darned if it didn't have that slightly polished Jene' Sais' Quoi that you hear and feel on VH-1( That's all the French you're gettin out out of me fellas) :lol: ... I loved it. 8-)

Also the amp just seemed really gainy at 70-75 ACV and I didn't feel the need to engage the Boss EQ pedal much it at all so yeah I do believe Gaustad is right on it in his vids. It' been a long time since I went under 80-85 ACV and that extra 5 to tens volts really takes the volume down noticeably and interesting things start to happen to the amp as well, like it said it just felt more aggressive and gainy.

Dry cab was a Marshall 1982B with Celestion Heritage H55 12H-30's.

My Wet signal chain in my W/D/W was Amp slave out jack> Suhr iso line out>Eventide pitchfactor as set above>Boss DD500 left delay echoplex 500ms and right delay 498ms>Matrix 1000FX Power amp>left Marshall cab celestion 12H-30's 75 hz>right cab celestion blackback 12H-30's 75 Hz.

Anyway fellas it's been a good long while since I rocked out for almost two hours and I really enjoyed myself so thanks for inspiring me to try something new that was fun. I hope you all had a great Memorial day weekend.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:23 am ..I revisited the two EP3 preamp in series( AS PLX mentioned) like Ed did with EP3 echoplexes and it does seem to round things out some and definitely pushes more gain and they do this phase thing that is hard to explain)It's been years since I ran two EPPRE's in series...it seemed more effective than I remembered ..
When I go back and read Clinch's comments on the circuit, he describes it better than I can :

Peter Clinch May 30, 2007

"On the test bench, it has a small amount of bottom end roll-off and 6db or more top end roll-off. When you listen to it, there seems to be something else, so I took another look on the bench.

The circuit inverts the phase, but it's not a constant 180 degrees through the frequency range. It's close to 180 at low frequencies, but varies away from 180 as frequency increases. I know from experience that this causes coloration. In this case, it sounds quite good."

When you run two in series, it makes things sound like a subtle envelope filter - at least that's how I would describe it.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:33 pm
When I go back and read Clinch's comments on the circuit, he describes it better than I can :

Peter Clinch May 30, 2007

"On the test bench, it has a small amount of bottom end roll-off and 6db or more top end roll-off. When you listen to it, there seems to be something else, so I took another look on the bench.

The circuit inverts the phase, but it's not a constant 180 degrees through the frequency range. It's close to 180 at low frequencies, but varies away from 180 as frequency increases. I know from experience that this causes coloration. In this case, it sounds quite good."

When you run two in series, it makes things sound like a subtle envelope filter - at least that's how I would describe it.
I knew there was a slight phase shift and Peter describes it best but you really have to experience it in front of the amp. Even with just one EP-PRE on I had Jim Gaustad levels of gain happening at 70-75 ACV.

I don't even know what an envelope filter does...................... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you tried the Eventide thing III suggested? I think you would like it IMHO..... :o
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:13 pm I knew there was a slight phase shift and Peter describes it best but you really have to experience it in front of the amp. Even with just one EP-PRE on I had Jim Gaustad levels of gain happening at 70-75 ACV.
Yeah, I did not expect that from my make-shift EVH signal chain. I have my EVH spec 100W amp at 90VAC on the variac.

I spent years on the MetroAmp forum fucking around modding amps, only to finally realize you could run a Super70 pickup into a GE-10, a couple of Echoplex pre-amps and a Shaffer-Vega pre-amp and get all that clean, colorized gain into any Marshall style amp.

It's about each piece of gear is giving you a slight, very organic-sounding boost. By the time you hit the front of the amp, it's all there. :D

harddriver wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:13 pmHave you tried the Eventide thing III suggested? I think you would like it IMHO..
Yeah, the admin here sent me the plug-in years ago, and I did some recording with it.

My desktop PC crashed last summer and I lost some files. That plug-in was one I lost. :evil:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:28 pm
I spent years on the MetroAmp forum fucking around modding amps, only to finally realize you could run a Super70 pickup into a GE-10, a couple of Echoplex pre-amps and a Shaffer-Vega pre-amp and get all that clean, colorized gain into any Marshall style amp.

It's about each piece of gear is giving you a slight, very organic-sounding boost. By the time you hit the front of the amp, it's all there. :D
Preach it brother....the sum of all the parts is so true. Isn't it amzing we perceive VH-1 as a gain monster when it's not really.

I wonder what Gaustad would sound like the Eventide effect going???????????????

I'd still like to see what the Schaffer Vega does for VHII tones. I may sell a couple things and pick one up. I'm waiting to hear what you think about the 3 monkeys solderless as I need to re-cable my pedal board as well.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:38 pmI wonder what Gaustad would sound like the Eventide effect going??????????????
I thought he was using a plug-in for the Eventide :?:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:50 pm
harddriver wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:38 pmI wonder what Gaustad would sound like the Eventide effect going??????????????
I thought he was using a plug-in for the Eventide :?:
I'd have to rewatch his vids but I don't know if he is using the Eventide on everything. Just the Pultec and 1176 but maybe he is.

Eventide makes a Pitchfactor....................................... :P :P :P :P
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:54 pm I'd have to rewatch his vids but I don't know if he is using the Eventide on everything. Just the Pultec and 1176 but maybe he is.

I did video capture on all his YouTube videos and saved them to my hard-drive for reference. I was watching one last night to see how he set the controls on the UA-1176 compressor.

I swear he mentions using the Eventide somewhere. :?
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Hey III was this a actual mic'd speaker or was it your Suhr load with IR's?
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:59 pm
harddriver wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:54 pm I'd have to rewatch his vids but I don't know if he is using the Eventide on everything. Just the Pultec and 1176 but maybe he is.

I did video capture on all his YouTube videos and saved them to my hard-drive for reference. I was watching one last night to see how he set the controls on the UA-1176 compressor.

I swear he mentions using the Eventide somewhere. :?
IIRC he uses the Eventide on later stuff like "Women In Love" intro.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.