Badgerplex AC
SVDS Pre-amp
100W "Ed Specs" amp
Scumback BM-75 speaker

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: SGMAD Solo Clip - Tone Test

Post by harddriver »

Sounds Awesome.... Definitely has the VHII tone happening and there is still that bright crispy crunch.. LOVE IT!!!! 8-)

DId you have it all on, the GE10, Vega, and both EP-PRES?

I would try the amp on volume 1 set at 7 not dimed and volume 2 set a 3. I would try the setting the GE-10 off and I think you would have plenty of gain for both rhythm and leads. I think Ed's was using the the GE10 overall output level mostly to drive the extra long cable runs because of the impedance of the two echoplexes, this was of course in the Japan leg of the tour before he started using the Schaffer Vega wireless.

For solo boost to just barely boost at with a very flat curve is where I really like, this is the EQ curve that I use on my GE7 that mimics my vintage MXR set similar but he levels are a bit different but I had them side by side and I had to set the GE7 different to get what the MXR was producing.

100Hz -5Db
200Hz 0 Db
400hz 2.5 Db
800Hz 5 Db
1.6K 5 Db
3.2K 2.5 Db
6.4K 0 Db

Overall level set to 0 DB
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:07 pmDId you have it all on, the GE10, Vega, and both EP-PRES?
Yeah, I've played around with switching the pedals off one at a time, and if any one of them is off (except the Badgerplex AC) then I lose the gain you need to make that tone happen.

After listening to the playback a couple of times, I think I rendered the clip a little too hot coming out of the DAW.

Might try recording something else later, and make those changes.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Crank your variac down to 70-75 volts and see what you get PLX.................... 8-)

It sounds good now it can only get better right?

With the two EPPRE's and Schaffer Vega I don't think need much boost from the GE-10 just that flat mid boost without the mid spike like if you ran 800HZ up there, I cant' see you needing more that that at this point basically it's just cutting the woofy lows and giving a little nudge in the mids not a Stryper Furman PQ3 mids pummeling and more natural push.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

After reading LLL's post, I went in and using the same track I just pulled out much more 700Hz using the Pultec MEQ-5.

Damn :!:

Much less muddy. Much more clarity :lol:

lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Needs more bite. Your upper mids are too smooth.

Here's screenshots of what I'm doing; although your gear will prolly do somewhat different results.

EQ can drive a person nuts.
EQP-1 EVH 1st.jpg
MEQ-5 EVH 1st.jpg
Although it could be the speaker.

Try the D120 and Pre-Rola Greenback iRs in that Ownhammer pack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Ok, so I configured my Pultec EQ with your settings and I added the D-120 speaker, close mic'ed, centered on cap. 1" away.

lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:55 am Ok, so I configured my Pultec EQ with your settings and I added the D-120 speaker, close mic'ed, centered on cap. 1" away.

Are you still using the Scumback speaker (real) in this mix?

I'm hearing way too much low-mids warmth and the bite still isn't there.

Not familiar with that Scumback, but is that supposed to be a G12M-25 Greenback clone? Doesn't seem right if that real speaker is in the mix.

Unless you're doing something with the BOSS GE-10.

Lotsa variables. :!:

I would think if using a guitar with a Super 70 pickup, you'd want to focus on You Really Got Me or Runnin With The Devil.

Then there's the question of does your amp have the .68uF (or other) bypass cap on V2? When I added that to mine, the gain jumped.

Again, lotsa variables. :| :!: :?: :lol:
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I agree with III it does need a bit more bite in the mids and highs and the mids do seem too smooth almost too polite, needs a bit more raunchiness.

It's a good base tone, that Pultec EQ is powerful...........

Thanks for the clip post I enjoy listening to them. Reminds me of Metro back in the day when Rgalpin, Rockstah and BMF5150 would post up their amp clips to listen the next excursion into Ed lore once again! I still enjoy it..... :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:04 am
Are you still using the Scumback speaker (real) in this mix?

I'm hearing way too much low-mids warmth and the bite still isn't there.

Not familiar with that Scumback, but is that supposed to be a G12M-25 Greenback clone? Doesn't seem right if that real speaker is in the mix.

Unless you're doing something with the BOSS GE-10.

Lotsa variables. :!:

I would think if using a guitar with a Super 70 pickup, you'd want to focus on You Really Got Me or Runnin With The Devil.

Then there's the question of does your amp have the .68uF (or other) bypass cap on V2? When I added that to mine, the gain jumped.

Again, lotsa variables. :| :!: :?: :lol:
Yeah, I'm blending the Scumback speaker, mic'ed with SM-57 on cap edge, with the line level signal coming out of my reactive load, which is going into IR's of a JBL D-120.

I have the GE-10 set just like pics of Ed's rig back in the day.

I don't know how to play RWTD or YRGM.. :lol:

Yeah, I added the fat cap about a year ago. I forget what value I used - I'll need to open up the amp anyway to re-bias in order to try lowering the variac from 90VAC down to like HD said to try.

I take some notes when I do that.