Guitar Player October 1979 Seymour Duncan Research Laboratory Ad SH-5 Custom

lll
Middle Manager

Guitar Player October 1979 Seymour Duncan Research Laboratory Ad SH-5 Custom

Post by lll »

SH-5 Custom = Van Halen 1 Frankie

This is one of the very few pickups that has EVH "provenance" - where his name was attached to a pickup built by a known and reputable pickup maker who is also on record (stated by Ed) to have wound pickups for him (Ed).

This is the ad that Ed saw and then called up Seymour Duncan (who had been winding pickups for Ed) and said, "what the hell, man?"

Said Ed's reaction information is from Jas Obrecht's early Ed interview (in '79 IIRC).
GP Oct 79 pg 17 a.jpg
GP Oct 79 pg 17 b.jpg
GP Oct 79 pg 17 c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lll on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Guitar Player October 1979 Seymour Duncan Research Laboratory Ad

Post by lll »

After Ed called up Seymour, in the December 1979 guitar issue, the words "VAN HALEN" were omitted from said ad.
1.JPG
2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Guitar Player October 1979 Seymour Duncan Research Laboratory Ad SH-5 Custom

Post by lll »

And BTW, the SH-5 Custom has a very similar DC output to the DiMarzio Super Distortion (or Mighty Mite 1300 which is a DiM SD clone) - about 14KOhms.

The SH-5 Custom also has a ceramic magnet (although smaller) just like the DiM SD and MM 1300.

The SH-5 Custom, probably because of the smaller ceramic magnet, also cleans up suspiciously well by just turning the volume knob down (think parts of Ain't Talkin Bout Love, etc)

And its official SD description has always been "PAF on steroids".
PLX
Executive

Re: Guitar Player October 1979 Seymour Duncan Research Laboratory Ad SH-5 Custom

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:25 pm And BTW, the SH-5 Custom has a very similar DC output to the DiMarzio Super Distortion (or Mighty Mite 1300 which is a DiM SD clone) - about 14KOhms.

The SH-5 Custom also has a ceramic magnet (although smaller) just like the DiM SD and MM 1300.

The SH-5 Custom, probably because of the smaller ceramic magnet, also cleans up suspiciously well by just turning the volume knob down (think parts of Ain't Talkin Bout Love, etc)

If I understand Jim Gaustad correctly, he's saying he actually got ahold of a couple of those early re-wound pickups that Seymour made to accommodate Ed's desire for a higher output pickup.

Jim measured the windings and probably even the wire gauge(s) of the coils to provide Jalen with the specs on the FW humbucker.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:28 pm
lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:25 pm And BTW, the SH-5 Custom has a very similar DC output to the DiMarzio Super Distortion (or Mighty Mite 1300 which is a DiM SD clone) - about 14KOhms.

If I understand Jim Gaustad correctly, he's saying he actually got ahold of a couple of those early re-wound pickups that Seymour made to accommodate Ed's desire for a higher output pickup.

Jim measured the windings and probably even the wire gauge(s) of the coils to provide Jalen with the specs on the FW humbucker.
Looked at the specs for the Jalen FW pickup - almost 16K, A5 mag... very similar to a SD SH-4 JB
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:50 pm Looked at the specs for the Jalen FW pickup - almost 16K, A5 mag... very similar to a SD SH-4 JB
Yeah, and Gaustad said the coil offset on the Jalen FW is 16.5%

I don't know if the JB is an asymmetric wind :?:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:55 pm
lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:50 pm Looked at the specs for the Jalen FW pickup - almost 16K, A5 mag... very similar to a SD SH-4 JB
Yeah, and Gaustad said the coil offset on the Jalen FW is 16.5%

I don't know if the JB is an asymmetric wind :?:
Most Duncans are not asymmetric
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:51 pmMost Duncans are not asymmetric
I heard DiMarzio patented asymmetric winds.

Only the small pickup builders get away with making them.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:28 pm

Oh really now? That's the first I've heard of that.......INTERESTING.......... :o ;)

I thought he was just going on his gut instinct and intuition from all the Ed tone chasing he had done in the past......... :? :roll: :idea:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:01 pm
lll wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:51 pmMost Duncans are not asymmetric
I heard DiMarzio patented asymmetric winds.

Only the small pickup builders get away with making them.
I heard Dimarzio don;t allow double cremes and they did patent the Axis EVH pickup. How can one patent the number of coil winds?

The Duncan 78 model has asymmetric coils.