Guitar Player October 1979 Seymour Duncan Research Laboratory Ad SH-5 Custom

PLX
Executive

Re: Guitar Player October 1979 Seymour Duncan Research Laboratory Ad SH-5 Custom

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:53 am Oh really now? That's the first I've heard of that.......INTERESTING.......... :o ;)

I thought he was just going on his gut instinct and intuition from all the Ed tone chasing he had done in the past......... :? :roll: :idea:
Yes.

But like LLL said, it's essentially a Duncan JB that's been overwound.

The 16.5% offset on the coils is interesting to me because that's the secret sauce some other winders use to make EVH spec humbuckers.

That's why I theorize the overall DC resistance doesn't matter.. As long as the offset is the correct proportion, the magic happens.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Guitar Player October 1979 Seymour Duncan Research Laboratory Ad SH-5 Custom

Post by harddriver »

I just remember Gaustad saying at the time the JB was Seymours hot pickup so he was just theorizing that it was some type of JB derivative. Maybe I heard him wrong but I didn't take away what II says that he actually got some 1977/78 Duncan rewinds in his hands but I could be mistaken.

But according to the October of 79 Seymour already had the Seymourizer II 12.6K(ceramic), the Custom(ceramic) 14K, the Distortion(ceramic) 16K and the JB(A-5) 16-17K.

I gonna speculate that Seymour had the Seymourizer II and the JB in 1978. It would be cool to look at a 1977/78 Duncan ad and see what he was advertising then that would give us better pre VH1 view of things.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

And then there's this gem.. :lol:

"So I put a PAF magnet in a DiMarzio pickup and rewound it by hand, which took a long lime. I actually ruined about three pickups, and by the fourth time it worked. I didn't count the windings – I just did it by sight."

-- Edward Van Halen, April 1980 issue of Guitar Player Magazine