PLX
Executive

Ed Tone Test

Post by PLX »

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Ed Tone Test

Post by harddriver »

Needs a little more raunch on the high end but it sounds ok to me. It sounds like the EVH 4x12 cabinet I have played numerous times at a friend of mine's that he owned when we used to get together for jam nights. The EVH is supposed to be just a Heritage 12M25 greenback with an EVH sticker on the back anyway. It's not a bad sounding speaker in my estimation.

What's the amp/modeler and pickup?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:38 pm Needs a little more raunch on the high end but it sounds ok to me. It sounds like the EVH 4x12 cabinet I have played numerous times at a friend of mine's that he owned when we used to get together for jam nights. The EVH is supposed to be just a Heritage 12M25 greenback with an EVH sticker on the back anyway. It's not a bad sounding speaker in my estimation.

What's the amp/modeler and pickup?
I went back and re-watched Gaustad's videos on VH1 tone and copied everything he was doing..

8.7KΩ pickup > 2 Echoplex Preamps > amp (with everything on 10 except master on 5 and preamp on 7) > EVH speaker blended with JBL-D120 speaker >
NLS channel strip > API 550 > LA-76 compressor > Pultec EQs > EMT 140 reverb.

Amp was running at 80VAC with 2 tubes pulled.

All settings on all plug-ins duplicated. The only thing I added (which Jim didn't mention) was a high and low pass filter.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I thought Jim used the sunset sound reverb rooms for his VH1 excursions. Did he use the EMT plate reverb? I think the the reverb in your clip needs to be more expansive/bigger if you know what I mean.

I would also try just one EP PREAMP pedal instead of the two. That should bring back some of the high end detail. Do you have a vintage MXR phase 90 and MXR flanger to fully duplicate the signal chain?

What pickup are you using? The Super 70? I really think Ed went with a warmer PAF or equivalent like a 78 model(A-2 magent) on VHII. He openly stated he didn't like the tone on VH1 so he changed something from VH1 and VHII.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:58 pm I thought Jim used the sunset sound reverb rooms for his VH1 excursions. Did he use the EMT plate reverb? I think the the reverb in your clip needs to be more expansive/bigger if you know what I mean.

I would also try just one EP PREAMP pedal instead of the two. That should bring back some of the high end detail. Do you have a vintage MXR phase 90 and MXR flanger to fully duplicate the signal chain?

What pickup are you using? The Super 70? I really think Ed went with a warmer PAF or equivalent like a 78 model(A-2 magent) on VHII. He openly stated he didn't like the tone on VH1 so he changed something from VH1 and VHII.
I have the MXR Custom Shop Script Logo Phase 90 (CSP-101SL).

I took out 1 EP pre this morning because I was hearing the same thing. It's better with just the one.

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

The Reverb now sounds more correct....Is this the Sunset Sound Reverb room instead of the EMT plate? The wolliness is gone now I think the 2nd EP preamp was causing. The High end detail is there, with nice present crunch and bite in the highs which fits Michael Anthony's description of being int he studio with Ed for VH1 saying " Ed's tone was bright as hell!" Of course I am paraphrasing here.

What pickup is that? I assume it's your Super 70?

Maybe try a Pre-Rola 0014 cone greenback or try a 12H30 55HZ Blackback IR. ;)

This last clip sounds really good. It's a good solid Ed tone for sure, I'd be happy with that. 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:59 pm The Reverb now sounds more correct....Is this the Sunset Sound Reverb room instead of the EMT plate? The wolliness is gone now I think the 2nd EP preamp was causing. The High end detail is there, with nice present crunch and bite in the highs which fits Michael Anthony's description of being int he studio with Ed for VH1 saying " Ed's tone was bright as hell!" Of course I am paraphrasing here.

What pickup is that? I assume it's your Super 70?

Maybe try a Pre-Rola 0014 cone greenback or try a 12H30 55HZ Blackback IR. ;)

This last clip sounds really good. It's a good solid Ed tone for sure, I'd be happy with that. 8-)
I'm using the 8.7kΩ asymmetric wind with the A8 magnet.

The second EP pre was just making the tone muddy. It's better with just the one.

The actual track is panned hard left. The reverb is panned hard right and I pulled all the bottom end outta the reverb track.

If you take the isolated guitar track for "Feel Your Love Tonight" and import it into your DAW, then split it into two tracks.. the left track is the actual guitar track. The right is the reverb, and the signal level is very low compared to the left track.

I'm not using a speaker IR for the reverb track. I created an impulse response from the actual isolated guitar track and substituted that for the cab & mic IR.