Executive

FiNaLly fUcKin nAilED It !

Post by PLX »

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: FiNaLly fUcKin nAilED It !

Post by harddriver »

What was the complete setup?

The clip seemed just a little too gainy but it sounded like the frequencies were correct along with that raunchy crunchy nature of the album recorded tone seemed to be there. I guess my description has been that VH-1 has that crunchy almost fuzzy distortion riding on the notes not necessarily created by gain, he had just enough gain to get things done.

The issue would be Ed didn't use a BE OD...... :P I know some people want to play the album tone and if the BEOD gets it then that's great. ;)

I on the the other hand am obsessed with the live tones and getting what I hear in those early live performances directly from my amp setup. It's all a flip of the same coin... :lol: I don't even want to go down the rabbit hole of the the studio magic done to those albums.... :roll:

I'm going to post a series of Ossie Ahsen videos which explores on how much the studio MAGIC really made the VH1 overall sound especially the EQ's.

I'm not much of a recording guy but I found it fascinating as he tweaked the EQ with the API550 and Pultec EQP1A.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:54 pmWhat was the complete setup?
Asymmetric humbucker, 8.7kΩ, A8 magnet > BE-OD clone pedal (no distortion. clean boost)> EP-pre pedal > JCM-800 clone, all knobs on 10 except PREAMP and Master Volume on 7 and 5 respectively. Amp variac'ed down to 90VAC. 2 EH-6CA7 tubes pulled > reactive load/line out into DAW > Celestion EVH speaker IR's and SM-57 mic > Fab Filter EQ match > Non-linear summer buss > API 550 > 1176 compressor > J37 tape emulation plug-in
harddriver wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:54 pm The issue would be Ed didn't use a BE OD...... :P I know some people want to play the album tone and if the BEOD gets it then that's great. ;)
Checkmate, motherfucker :!:

:lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I stand corrected.................. :lol: :oops: