FYLT tone test

lll
Middle Manager

Re: FYLT tone test

Post by lll »

Assuming you're loading the amp down, which iRs are you using?
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:54 pm That harshness in the upper mids is still there, but just a hair less from previous.

Ears tell me it's roughly 1.5 or 2KHz area.
JCM-800. 2 tubes pulled. EH6CA7's variac at 90VAC
Reactive load into USB audio interface > Reaper DAW
MASTER: 5
PREAMP: 6
TREBLE: 5
MID: 5
BASS: 1
PRESENCE: 5.5

Speaker IR's : G12-EVH 412 C Hi-Gn All+Room Mono Celestion blended 50/50 with OH 412 MAR H-BB-55 T1 DYN-421

lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:46 am Speaker IR's : G12-EVH 412 C Hi-Gn All+Room Mono Celestion blended 50/50 with OH 412 MAR H-BB-55 T1 DYN-421
You're using the H-30 magnet speaker there (instead of the M-25 magnet a la greenback 25s), plus Sennheiser 421 mic (instead of SM57) there.

For 1st album, I'd try the:

- Ownhammer pre-rola greenback M-25 w/SM57 (file name: OH 412 MAR M-PR-55 T2 DYN-57.wav)
- Ownhammer D120 w/SM57 (file name: OH 412 MAR D-120 T2 DYN-57.wav)

...blended together.

The Sennheiser 421 doesn't belong anywhere near Ed early tone... or any era Ed tone, IIRC.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:57 am You're using the H-30 magnet speaker there (instead of the M-25 magnet a la greenback 25s), plus Sennheiser 421 mic (instead of SM57) there.

For 1st album, I'd try the:

- Ownhammer pre-rola greenback M-25 w/SM57 (file name: OH 412 MAR M-PR-55 T2 DYN-57.wav)
- Ownhammer D120 w/SM57 (file name: OH 412 MAR D-120 T2 DYN-57.wav)

...blended together.

The Sennheiser 421 doesn't belong anywhere near Ed early tone... or any era Ed tone, IIRC.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

There's something not right with the base tone perhaps.

Possibiliy is the BEODD + amp combination (assuming that's what you're using)... either they're not setup properly, gain staging is wrong, or they just don't do '68 Plexi convincingly. I would think you should be able to get in the ballpark at least, though.

Or... gain staging somewhere along the signal path is clipping. Maybe the line output from the line out is too hot a signal?

Very raspy harsh upper mids (that speaker combo really brings it out). Like it's square-wave type clipping. Almost digital-clipping like.

I'd start by testing your signal levels between "components" (physical and software) one stage at a time.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:38 am There's something not right with the base tone perhaps.

Possibiliy is the BEODD + amp combination (assuming that's what you're using)... either they're not setup properly, gain staging is wrong, or they just don't do '68 Plexi convincingly. I would think you should be able to get in the ballpark at least, though.

Or... gain staging somewhere along the signal path is clipping. Maybe the line output from the line out is too hot a signal?

Very raspy harsh upper mids (that speaker combo really brings it out). Like it's square-wave type clipping. Almost digital-clipping like.

I'd start by testing your signal levels between "components" (physical and software) one stage at a time.
I keep checking and correcting any clipping going on in the signal chain. The BE-OD pedal has the gain knob at zero.

I switched the speaker IR's back to what they were before on this clip.

Sounds better to me. Not as distorted.

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I'd remove the BEOD first and see if it is the pedal not playing nice. Remember that pedal was designed for use into totally clean platforms, maybe no matter how low you turn the dirt level on that pedal maybe it's still clipping in the pedal gain stages. Replace it with an EQ if you still need a gain push. Your amp should have more gain than a 68 plexi or at least as much.

If the amp by itself with no BE OD boost still has that phasey/clipping artifact recorded then as lll says it may be your line out tap is contributing to the issue.

FWIW my Suhr ISO line outs have a PHASE switch on them. Probably just for issues like this.... ;)

Your latest clip still has that phasing artifact lll calls is harsh mids going on especially when you dig into you powers chords it gets very noticeable.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:57 am I keep checking and correcting any clipping going on in the signal chain. The BE-OD pedal has the gain knob at zero.

I switched the speaker IR's back to what they were before on this clip.

Sounds better to me. Not as distorted.

Interestingly, with this clip and your others, non-chords (riffs, lines, etc) sound pretty good.

It's the chords (typical Ed power chords etc) that sound bad.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

I'm with harddriver...

and although I haven't tried it myself (i have a BEOD deluxe), I question dropping the gain to zero, only because my experience with other gain pedals is when you drop it to zero, it totally neuters the tone (no ballz / low end / warmth) and leaves only the scratchy thin clipping.

I would turn the gain knob up enough so the tone is as full EQ-wise as you can without distorting too much (if the above effect is actually what's going on).

So, theoretically, you're de-balling your tone at the BEOD and only pushing scratchy thin clipping into your amp.

Theoretically...
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:20 am I'm with harddriver...

and although I haven't tried it myself (i have a BEOD deluxe), I question dropping the gain to zero, only because my experience with other gain pedals is when you drop it to zero, it totally neuters the tone (no ballz / low end / warmth) and leaves only the scratchy thin clipping.

I would turn the gain knob up enough so the tone is as full EQ-wise as you can without distorting too much (if the above effect is actually what's going on).

So, theoretically, you're de-balling your tone at the BEOD and only pushing scratchy thin clipping into your amp.

Theoretically...
no brown eye

ep-pre > ep-pre > Schaffer-Vega diversity system-pre > amp > reactive load > audio interface > DAW