Fair Warning Tone

PLX
Executive

Re: Fair Warning Tone

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:13 pm That's a good solid FW tone PLX! Congrats... 8-) The pickup definitely has more punch and depth to it, does it seem bright or is the asymmetric wind doing what you theorize that it tames the brightness of the Floyd Rose bridge. I like this pickup more than your A-8 High Order. 8-)

What speaker IR did you use for the cip?

Did you use your digital cheating/EQ matching on the clip? ;)

Did you use all of the Sunset sound equipment, API550, Pultec, UA 1A compressor, EMT plate reverb.
It's actually a very dark sounding pickup.

I'm using the one erryone says Ed used on that record.. the Celestion G12T-75. I tried a bunch of other speaker IR's, but that one sounded right for this clip.

I'm running the exact same signal chain Jim Gaustad is using in his video. All settings are the same as well.

As far as the EQ matching with Fab Filter.. in my humble opinion that was a black hole of despair and wasted hours. :x It seemed promising at first.

I watched several YouTube videos where these kids were using it to EQ match some of those CHUGGA CHUGGA tones, and it worked for them. I figured it would work for the 'boomer" guitar tones as well.. but it really doesn't.

In the end, I was turning it down so far in the mix because it just sounded anemic and shitty. :| So, I just quit using it. You're better off using your ears and your gear to 'get there'.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Just watch those Ossie Ahsen videos he covers all of the EQ tricks he thinks they were using. Make some notes and apply them to your clips post EQ. I think Gaustad covered alot on the pultec EQ and API EQ and the LA2A compressor so you shouldn't need the EQ match tool.

This latest clip is fuller and sounds better as a core tone than anything you posted with that FabFilter EQ digital cheat code application. ;)

Recording and mixing is an artform and you're gonna have to pay your dues so to speak............. :lol:

Do you think this pickup will pull off some NUNO since it is dark? Is the lowend tight or loose? It sound ok to me.

The Duncan Custom Custom A-2was a huge muddy mess of a pickup when I tried it but it cold have been the guitar I put it in as well.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:44 pm Just watch those Ossie Ahsen videos he covers all of the EQ tricks he thinks they were using. Make some notes and apply them to your clips post EQ. I think Gaustad covered alot on the pultec EQ and API EQ and the LA2A compressor so you shouldn't need the EQ match tool.

This latest clip is fuller and sounds better as a core tone than anything you posted with that FabFilter EQ digital cheat code application. ;)

Recording and mixing is an artform and you're gonna have to pay your dues so to speak............. :lol:

Do you think this pickup will pull off some NUNO since it is dark? Is the lowend tight or loose? It sound ok to me.

The Duncan Custom Custom A-2was a huge muddy mess of a pickup when I tried it but it cold have been the guitar I put it in as well.
Jim's EQ configuration is basically notching out 700Hz and boosting 5kHz.. that really about all he's doing.

The Pultec EQ plug-ins give that vintage tube EQ sound to the tone.

I'm using the Studer J-37 plug-in as well. Just passing signal through it - not boosting signal.

I haven't even tried the Nuno stuff yet. I had to change everything in the DAW after the pickup change, and it took like 2 days of concerted effort.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I think with your Mahogany/maple capped body it will be warmer than the Northern Ash of Gaustads Franky so it should be a little darker in your guitar.

It sounded like it had pleny of bite in your clip though without being overly bright which was one of your concerns. It sounds like a match then? ;)

I won't discount the higher output pickups for live stuff after Ed dropped the MXR 6 band/Boss GE10 and echoplexes around 1980. It makes sense he needed to make up for some lost push to the signal chain.

That being said I'm still in the might mite camp for VH1 either the 1300(13K) or 1400(9K) pickups, they just have this ratty almost fuzzy crunch detail that rides on the root notes that I hear on VH1. I am still looking to grab an old Ducnan 59 neck or bridge around 7.8-8.2K. I had a duncan 59B years ago and it was bright /bright/bright...................and I didn't really care for it at the time. I think they do sound like the Diver Down ERA though.
Last edited by harddriver on Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:30 pm

As far as the EQ matching with Fab Filter.. in my humble opinion that was a black hole of despair and wasted hours. :x It seemed promising at first.

Honesty every clip you used that on seemed to layer the tracks with digital artifacts in the tone that wasn't pleasing, at least that's how I heard it.

This latest clip has warmth and yet still nice and bitey. Ya gotta remember ED strangled the crap oout of the guitar neck and really dug into everything viscously. ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:15 pm Honesty every clip you used that on seemed to layer the tracks with digital artifacts in the tone that wasn't pleasing, at least that's how I heard it.
One of the last things I tried with Fab Filter EQ match was to write down all 24 spectrum points and then manually input them into a parametric EQ plug-in.

This did work, and there were no funky sounding artifacts because you're not using a software algorithm to make EQ changes in real-time.

The Jalen FW pickup needs a lot less EQ'ing to get these tones.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:22 am
Gain (BALLLZ BALLLLLLZ BALLLLLLZZZZZ) sounds right. EQ is pretty good. Seems Ed's tone is fatter.

Need to pan left, add a lil Eventide (definitely Eventide on there).
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:38 amNeed to pan left, add a lil Eventide (definitely Eventide on there).
It has the H-910 on there mixed at 7%

I guess it should be more :?:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:41 am
lll wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:38 amNeed to pan left, add a lil Eventide (definitely Eventide on there).
It has the H-910 on there mixed at 7%

I guess it should be more :?:
Yes, I'd start at 25%
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:10 pm I think with your Mahogany/maple capped body it will be warmer than the Northern Ash of Gaustads Franky so it should be a little darker in your guitar.
This ^

Have to EQ adjust to emulate the more prominent treble there.

Or, be like everyone else and snag a superstrat (and you should, cuz you NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED one)