Fair Warning Tone

PLX
Executive

Fair Warning Tone

Post by PLX »

I was re-watching Jim Gaustad's video and he says the speakers Ed used on this record were Celestion G12-75.

But specifically, what speaker ?

Celestion G12T-75
Celestion "Heritage" G12M-20 with 75 Hz cone
Celestion G12M-65 "cream back" with 75 Hz cone

:?:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Fair Warning Tone

Post by harddriver »

I think Gaustad means the G12T-75 speaker in that video. I think he was eluding that Ed was using some type of prototype Celestion because officially the G12T75 didn't go into production until 1985 according to the webs info. I don't know if Gaustad knows they weren't in production when Fair Warning was recorded but he seems like a pretty detail oriented guy so I don't know how he missed that detail.

Maybe use the standard pre-rola greenback Ed always used and go from there.

Are you liking the pickup?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:12 am I think Gaustad means the G12T-75 speaker in that video. I think he was eluding that Ed was using some type of prototype Celestion because officially the G12T75 didn't go into production until 1985 according to the webs info. I don't know if Gaustad knows they weren't in production when Fair Warning was recorded but he seems like a pretty detail oriented guy so I don't know how he missed that detail.

Maybe use the standard pre-rola greenback Ed always used and go from there.

Are you liking the pickup?
Gaustad has it listed in his video (twice verbally and once noted in text in the DAW) as Celestion G12-75T... :?

I agree with you, he must mean Celestion G12T-75.

The guys on R/T say that speaker was available in '84.. for what that's worth.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I just re-watched Gaustad's FW video to refresh my memory and it's the G12T-75 75 watter plain as day. He states he got that info from a magazine interview with Rudy Leiren( ROBIN L) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I had to... I could not resist.

Again unless Ed had gotten prototype speakers from Celestion in 1980/81 Fair Warning was released in 1981 and probably recorded sometime in 1980...so there weren't any Celestion G12T-75's out there yet publicly unless he knows something I don't. :roll: I don't even know if the vintage 30 was out yet... first Vintage 30 was in 1986...so nope not even a vintage 30 then.

Try the G12T-75 it sounds great in Gaustad's video WTH....... :lol:

He also described the Jalen FW pickup as acting more like a higher output PAF than a JB and I like the sound of his description so I'm interested in how you hear it as well. ;)
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

I'd stick to G12-25M Greenbacks myself.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:33 am I just re-watched Gaustad's FW video to refresh my memory and it's the G12T-75 75 watter plain as day. He states he got that info from a magazine interview with Rudy Leiren( ROBIN L) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I had to... I could not resist.

Again unless Ed had gotten prototype speakers from Celestion in 1980/81 Fair Warning was released in 1981 and probably recorded sometime in 1980...so there weren't any Celestion G12T-75's out there yet publicly unless he knows something I don't. :roll: I don't even know if the vintage 30 was out yet... first Vintage 30 was in 1986...so nope not even a vintage 30 then.

Try the G12T-75 it sounds great in Gaustad's video WTH....... :lol:

He also described the Jalen FW pickup as acting more like a higher output PAF than a JB and I like the sound of his description so I'm interested in how you hear it as well. ;)
Yes, and I have that exact speaker IR, just wanted to figure out which of those 3 speakers he meant.

I keep playing around with different settings on this track, but I keep going back to exactly the way Gaustad has it because it sounds best.

The only thing I didn't have in the chain was the Eventide H-910, but I just now loaded it and see if that's the missing piece.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:12 am Yes, and I have that exact speaker IR, just wanted to figure out which of those 3 speakers he meant.

I keep playing around with different settings on this track, but I keep going back to exactly the way Gaustad has it because it sounds best.

The only thing I didn't have in the chain was the Eventide H-910, but I just now loaded it and see if that's the missing piece.
Generally speaking:

See this is cool and what it's all about - fucking with tone. Building shit. Playing guitar. etc

You post this kinda thread on some other forum like SDUGF and you'd get trolled by hack players who wouldn't know a split cathode if it bit them in the ass, and couldn't play or create a decent sounding clip to save their lives. They'd try to punk you just for liking EVH and tell you to "go get your own tone"; like they would even know what a good tone is.

It's refreshing I tells ya; damn refreshing.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:10 am I'd stick to G12-25M Greenbacks myself.
Is that the same as the G12-EVH ?

I bought that one from Celestion a couple weeks ago.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:26 am Generally speaking:

See this is cool and what it's all about - fucking with tone. Building shit. Playing guitar. etc

You post this kinda thread on some other forum like SDUGF and you'd get trolled by hack players who wouldn't know a split cathode if it bit them in the ass, and couldn't play or create a decent sounding clip to save their lives. They'd try to punk you just for liking EVH and tell you to "go get your own tone"; like they would even know what a good tone is.

It's refreshing I tells ya; damn refreshing.
I know from my own experience on all the other guitar forums this is true. But those people are, by-and-large, a bunch of miserable losers who don't even play guitar.

And they're generally very short-sighted when it comes to trolling.

Personally, I go for the "long troll".. Those guys will eating crickets in a FEMA camp next year, while I'll be butchering my own pigs, grilling pork tenderloin steaks and playing Van Halen riffs in my home studio.

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

That's a good solid FW tone PLX! Congrats... 8-) The pickup definitely has more punch and depth to it, does it seem bright or is the asymmetric wind doing what you theorize that it tames the brightness of the Floyd Rose bridge. I like this pickup more than your A-8 High Order. 8-)

What speaker IR did you use for the cip?

Did you use your digital cheating/EQ matching on the clip? ;)

Did you use all of the Sunset sound equipment, API550, Pultec, UA 1A compressor, EMT plate reverb.

Where were you running the variac remember Gaustad has 236 DCV on the plate of his amp at 68 ACV since his amp only has 400 DCV at 119ACV wall voltage in his FW YT clip which is not the voltage Ed's amp would have been IMHO. More like 300-325 in my estimation as my amp is 352DCV at 90 ACV.

Anyway great clip, what are your overal thoughts on the pickup now that you have it under your fingers cmpared to the A-8 High Order?