PLX
Executive

EVH / Jalen pickup tone clips

Post by PLX »

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: EVH / Jalen pickup tone clips

Post by harddriver »

You must have added some highs/presence to the amp or post EQ either way it sounds great the clip has that treble presence cut that ED had yet still somewhat brown.... ;)

Are you running anything in front of your amp or is this clip just straight in?

Nice Job there PLX....This new pickup is really agreeing with you........ 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:16 pm You must have added some highs/presence to the amp or post EQ either way it sounds great the clip has that treble presence cut that ED had yet still somewhat brown.... ;)

Are you running anything in front of your amp or is this clip just straight in?

Nice Job there PLX....This new pickup is really agreeing with you........ 8-)
After reading you guys comments and going back and listening to those clips from yesterday, I could hear it was missing the high end. :? I simply turned up the presence and treble controls. That seemed to fix it, to my ears anyway.

No effect pedals. Just my Korean-made Dean ML, Schaller Floyd Rose, Jalen Fair Warning p/u, into amp. Correct EVH era speaker IR's, Pultec EQs, Non-Linear summer channel strip, API 550, UA-1176 compressor, Eventide H-910 harmonizer, Studer J37 tape 1.5 inches-per-second.

The gain on the speaker impulse responses are cranked to +12dB... That's where the hiss is coming from. Can't make the magic without it though. :D
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

You're getting there with your recording skills, this clip is one of your best so far!
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Microscopically speaking :lol: (this is mostly splitting hairs)

I think I hear extra fatness (good) and extra bite (good, but not at the freqs I'm hearing).

Somewhere in the upper mids and highs (1.5KHz - 6KHz) there needs to be a shift in the "bite" frequency to get even closer to the real tone.

And I think the current "bite" freq you're emphasizing needs to be attenuated some.

Hard to say what exactly, as I'm just casually listening.

If my "quickdraw" ears are correct, I would start with 6KHz as the emphasized (boosted) frequency (this is traditional Ed) and flatten out whatever you're currently using (maybe 3 or 4K).

Using the Guitar Hero ISOs as reference.

EDIT: I see you turned up presence and treble. I would first try turning the presence down back to where it was and leave the treble knob where its at.

You may have to sculpt with EQ after, maybe not.

So to sum up: It's close, but needs some surgical precision in the upper mids to really nail things.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:34 pm Microscopically speaking :lol: (this is mostly splitting hairs)

I think I hear extra fatness (good) and extra bite (good, but not at the freqs I'm hearing).

Somewhere in the upper mids and highs (1.5KHz - 6KHz) there needs to be a shift in the "bite" frequency to get even closer to the real tone.

And I think the current "bite" freq you're emphasizing needs to be attenuated some.

Hard to say what exactly, as I'm just casually listening.

If my "quickdraw" ears are correct, I would start with 6KHz as the emphasized (boosted) frequency (this is traditional Ed) and flatten out whatever you're currently using (maybe 3 or 4K).

Using the Guitar Hero ISOs as reference.

EDIT: I see you turned up presence and treble. I would first try turning the presence down back to where it was and leave the treble knob where its at.

You may have to sculpt with EQ after, maybe not.

So to sum up: It's close, but needs some surgical precision in the upper mids to really nail things.
I'll give those things a shot.

It's been a struggle to come to terms with the different resonant peak of this pickup (from the previous pickup).

When I hit the low E string, it fucking clips the signal. :x Can't seem to figure that out.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:43 pm I'll give those things a shot.

It's been a struggle to come to terms with the different resonant peak of this pickup (from the previous pickup).

When I hit the low E string, it fucking clips the signal. :x Can't seem to figure that out.
At what point in the signal chain does it clip the signal?
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:51 pmAt what point in the signal chain does it clip the signal?
Well, I mean it just sounds like it's clipping.

Like distorted (not in a good way).

I don't know.. maybe I need to adjust the pole piece on the pickup for the low E string :?:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:09 pm
lll wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:51 pmAt what point in the signal chain does it clip the signal?
Well, I mean it just sounds like it's clipping.

Like distorted (not in a good way).

I don't know.. maybe I need to adjust the pole piece on the pickup for the low E string :?:
I would do any adjustments like that with just the guitar, amp, speaker iRs and everything else off.

Just guitar and amp and speaker iRs.

Assuming the pickup isn't jacked up way high or what have you... start with the Bass control on the amp all the way off, and turn up gradually until you hear strangeness, then dial back down a hair.

If I'm doing hi levels of gain on my Plexi, my Bass knob is either off or 1-2 at the most.

If you're still hearing strangeness with the amp Bass knob all the way off, then I'd look at adjusting the pickup and or polepieces. I would first try lowering the bass side of the pickup a hair (compared to the treble side) with the pickup adjust screw. If still strangeness, only then would I fuck with the polepieces.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:17 pm I would do any adjustments like that with just the guitar, amp, speaker iRs and everything else off.

Just guitar and amp and speaker iRs.

Assuming the pickup isn't jacked up way high or what have you... start with the Bass control on the amp all the way off, and turn up gradually until you hear strangeness, then dial back down a hair.

If I'm doing hi levels of gain on my Plexi, my Bass knob is either off or 1-2 at the most.

If you're still hearing strangeness with the amp Bass knob all the way off, then I'd look at adjusting the pickup and or polepieces. I would first try lowering the bass side of the pickup a hair (compared to the treble side) with the pickup adjust screw. If still strangeness, only then would I fuck with the polepieces.
I've got the BASS control on 1.

Here's the pickup height..

I adjusted the pole piece for the low E string to where it's flush with the bobbin.