Ed's Pickup In The Frankie

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Ed's Pickup In The Frankie

Post by harddriver »

lll wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:28 am
harddriver wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:24 pm After hearing the Ossie Ahsen and pickup shootout I had to try them. I purchased new production Might Mites... a 1300-1 and 1400 both with hex poles and both are Made in the USA. Maybe they recently moved production I have no idea but anything made in the USA for me is a big selling point. From everything that I have read they build them exactly the same way they were built in the 70's and from Ossie's comparison video that seems to be accurate. ;)
I admit I have myself been tempted to try a Mighty Mite 1300-1 (the "-1" at the end indicated hex pole pieces - the 1300 is the slug polepieces)... but ultimately I'm good with my early 80's SD SH-5.

Link to 1300-1:

https://mightymite.com/product/1300-1-humbucker-pickup/
There's no doubt you get some really killer tones with your SH-5 Custom and it is splitting hairs really. But with VH1 that's what I have always done and that's splitting the hairs of each and every nuance. C'mon guys... you read all my posts back on Metro circa 2006-2009........I'm a hair splitter.... :lol: :oops: :? for better or worse.

Who esle would track down and buy a 1977 Musicman HD-130 because he seen it in a Selland Arena video from 1978...........THIS GUY... :lol:

OHHH... I had a Dimarzio PAF pro in that showbox as well.........I didn't dig it........

My B/W Franky has the 78 model and I thinks it does alot of VH tones well, VHII right on, VH1 kinda ok, 1984 very good
One of my 83 Kramers has the MM 1400(9.8K) it does VH1 very well, VHII kinda ok, WACF very well, DD not so much and 1984 kinda ok...
My other 83 Kramer has the Seymourizer II and it does VH1 well and just about everything else well which is why that pickup hasn't been removed in all these years, back then I didn't know the technical details...I just knew I liked it. The Dimarzio SD out of that shoebox squealed like a pig and was super bright, I thought I would love it for Randy Rhodes stuff, I didn't dig it at all.

I admit my 83 Kramer with the MM 1400 is kinda of a VH1 one trick pony now but I can't bring myself to swap out my 78 model...it's just too good even though I know the MM will nail VH1 at least to my ears. ;)

Would I like try the Gasutad FW? heck yeah I think it sounds awesome but it just misses that hairy distortion that rides the notes in those mighty mite clips. GO back and listen between the Custom, SD 59, and the MM that hair is always riding the ascending scale notes on the MM at least it's more in your face IMHO. To my ears anyway it's what I hear on VH1 and it's quite prevalent.

I was happy as a pig in mud for years until I heard that Ossie Ahsen video and heard that dangnabbit hair riding those notes............ :roll:
Last edited by harddriver on Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:46 am
I have one in my box of pickups...

Prolly circa 1998~1999

[/quote]

Nope... twenty years too late for the experiment. :(

The duncans from the late 70 and very early 80's had the white labels with purple ink denoting the pickup like JB, Custom, SeymourizerII(full names) and the baseplates did not have any Seymour Duncan logos, they were all smooth metal baseplates with just the stickers. "m guessing all three of my Seymourizer II's are late 78-83 at the latest.

I installed a late/late 80's maybe early 90's seymourizer in that RWB Franky in the video and that one had the SEYII sticker and I can't remember if it had a engraved duncan logo or not. I don't even know when Seymour started doing that......... :?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:10 am I installed a late/late 80's maybe early 90's seymourizer in that RWB Franky in the video and that one had the SEYII sticker and I can't remember if it had a engraved duncan logo or not. I don't even know when Seymour started doing that......... :?
Identifying Label Codes for pickups built before 2002

We often get this question. There are one or two distinguishing characteristics for our pickups, along with an identifying label underneath. Check out the list below and see if any of these match the description of your pickup.

Note that the last letter on your label is often the initial of the Seymour Duncan employee who made the pickup.

HUMBUCKERS

STICKER OTHER IDENTIFIERS MODEL NAME
59N no logo SH-1n ’59 Model, neck
59B no logo SH-1b ’59 Model, bridge
JN SH-2n Jazz Model, neck
JMB SH-2b Jazz Model, bridge
MG 2 rows rod magnets SH-3 Stag Mag
JB SH-4 JB Model
DC SH-5 Duncan Custom
DD SH-6b Duncan Distortion, bridge
SEY SH-6n Duncan Distortion, neck
N 2 rows black button screws SH-8n Invader, neck
B 2 rows black button screws SH-8b Invader, bridge
N 2 rows black allen head screws SH-10n Full Shred, neck
B 2 rows black allen head screws SH-10b Full Shred, bridge
CC SH-11 Custom Custom
12B 1 row allen head, 1 row reg. SH-12 George Lynch Screamin’ Demon
PGN SHPG-1n Pearly Gates, neck
PGB SHPG-1b Pearly Gates, bridge
APH1N no logo APH-1n Alnico II Pro, neck
APH1B no logo APH-1b Alnico II Pro, bridge
N signatures & serial numbers SH-55n Seth Lover model, neck
B signatures & serial numbers SH-55b Seth Lover model, bridge
1B rectangular studs PATB-1b Original Parallel Axis, br
1N rectangular studs PATB-1n Original Parallel Axis, nk
2B rectangular studs PATB-2b Distortion Parallel Axis

3B rectangular studs PATB-3b Blues Saraceno Parallel Axis
TB59B E pole pieces 2.25″ apart TB-59b ’59 Model Trembucker
TB4 E pole pieces 2.25″ apart TB-4 JB Trembucker
TB5 E pole pieces 2.25″ apart TB-5 Custom Trembucker
TB6 E pole pieces 2.25″ apart TB-6 Distortion Trembucker
TB10B E pole pieces 2.25″ apart TB-10b Full Shred Trembucker
TBPG1b E pole pieces 2.25″ apart TBPG-1b Pearly Gates Trembucker
TB11 E pole pieces 2.25″ apart TB-11 Custom Custom Trembucker
TB12 E pole pieces 2.25″ apart TB-12 George Lynch Screamin’ Demon Trembucker

STRAT PICKUPS

N triangular bottom SHR-1n Hot Rails, neck/middle
B triangular bottom SHR-1b Hot Rails, bridge
1N oval bottom SCR-1n Cool Rails, neck/middle
1B oval bottom SCR-1b Cool Rails, bridge
1N blue color code SVR-1n Vintage Rails, neck/middle
1B yellow color code SVR-1b Vintage Rails, bridge
1N double row screws SJBJ-1n JB Junior, neck/middle
1B double row screws SJBJ-1b JB Junior, bridge
59N double row screws SL59-1n Little ’59, neck/middle
59B double row screws SL59-1b Little ’59, bridge
1N 1 row allen screws SLSD-1n Lil’ Screamin’ Demon, nk
1B 1 row allen screws SLSD-1b Lil’ Screamin’ Demon, br
1N blue color code, offset screws SDBR-1n Duckbucker, neck/middle
1B yellow color code, offset screws SDBR-1b Duckbucker, bridge
1 triangular bottom, staggered poles SSL-1 Vintage Staggered
2 triangular bottom, flat poles SSL-2 Vintage Flat
3 oval bottom SSL-3 Hot
4 oval bottom, .25″ diameter poles SSL-4 Quarter Pound Flat
5 oval bottom, staggered poles SSL-5 Custom Staggered
6 oval bottom, flat poles SSL-6 Custom Flat
7 oval bottom, .25″ diameter poles SSL-7 Quarter Pound Staggered

TELE PICKUPS

1 raised D and G STL-1 Vintage ’54 Lead
1b flat poles STL-1b Vintage for Broadcaster
1 chrome cover STR-1 Vintage Rhythm
2 flat poles STL-2 Hot Lead
2 chrome cover STR-2 Hot Rhythm
3 .25″ diameter poles STL-3 Quarter-Pound Lead
3 chrome cover STR-3 Quarter-Pound Rhythm
STHR1 blade magnets STHR-1b Tele Hot Rails
T59 double row screws ST59-1b Tele Little ’59

MINI- HUMBUCKERS

1N solid metal cover w/”S” logo SM-1n Vintage, neck
1B solid metal cover w/”S” logo SM-1b Vintage, bridge
2N solid metal cover w/”S” logo SM-2n Custom, neck
2B solid metal cover w/”S” logo SM-2b Custom, bridge
3N solid metal cover w/”S” logo SM-3n Seymourized, neck
3B solid metal cover w/”S” logo SM-3b Seymourized, bridge

If there is an extra letter at the end it reflects who actually wound your pickup: •A Raul Araiza (Single Coils) •B Leticia Bautista (Single Coils) •C Catalina Padilla (Rails) •D Debbie Nyquist (Humbuckers) •E Edward Madrigal (Humbuckers) •G Gloria Ocompo (Humbuckers) •J Maricella Juarez-83′ (Humbuckers, Single Coils, Stacks, Rails) •J Janice Salazar-til 83′ (Stacks) •L Lidia Daniel (Humbuckers) •L Leticia Quintero-87′-90′ (Stacks, Rails) •M Martha Cameron (Humbuckers, Single Coils) •O Oti Mora (Stacks, Rails) •P Lupe Perez-86′ on (Rails) •P Patty Vasquez-till 86′ (Stacks, Rails) •R Connie Rocha (Single Coils) •V Joe Velez (Single Coils) •X Mai Xiong (Stacks)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:57 am Would I like try the Gasutad FW? heck yeah I think it sounds awesome but it just misses that hairy distortion that rides the notes in those mighty mite clips. GO back and listen between the Custom, SD 59, and the MM that hair is always riding the ascending scale notes on the MM at least it's more in your face IMHO. To my ears anyway it's what I hear on VH1 and it's quite prevalent.
I've been playing mine for about 2 weeks now. I got the Floyd Rose stabilized so it will only dive and I've got this guitar tuned to C# so I can play the tracks off "Fair Warning".

I think it's great.

I was reading how Jerry Cantrell used a Duncan JB for the first 20 years of his recording career, so I started learning "We Die Young" (which is also in Drop D) and holy smokes.. it sounds just like the record.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

None of my old ones denote who wound them probably because they just didn't do that back that early yet or it was wound by Seymour. I think MJ was one of his first employees maybe? I don't know.

I've never seen a 78-80 Duncan Custom so I don't know if the sticker is DC or a full name Custom like my SeymourizerII's in full not SEYII. I know the old JB say JB in the purple ink but no winder whatsover so obviously doesn't apply to very early Duncans.
Last edited by harddriver on Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:37 am None of my old denote who wound them probably because they just didn't do that back that early yet or it was wound by Seymour. I think MJ was one of his first employees maybe? I don't know.

I've never seen a 78-80 Duncan Custom so I don't know if the sticker is DC or a full name Custom like my SeymourizerII's in full not SEYII. I know the old JB say JB in the purple ink but no winder whatsover so obviously doesn't apply to very early Duncans.
Me neither.

I didn't get talked into buying a "Custom" until the late 90's by someone at Seymour Duncan over the phone.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:34 am
I've been playing mine for about 2 weeks now. I got the Floyd Rose stabilized so it will only dive and I've got this guitar tuned to C# so I can play the tracks off "Fair Warning".

I think it's great.

I was reading how Jerry Cantrell used a Duncan JB for the first 20 years of his recording career, so I started learning "We Die Young" (which is also in Drop D) and holy smokes.. it sounds just like the record.
I think it's a great sounding pickup it really makes that 8.4 A-8 sound kinda thin. I can see why you like it, Gaustad describing it as a high output PAF gets my attention and it does seem different the regular JB. My Duncan Custom seemed to have more of mids emphasis and more compression than I liked for certain things, it's still was a killer pickup.

I'd have to build another FW guitar and I'm not gonna do that........... :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:42 am.. Gaustad describing it as a high output PAF gets my attention and it does seem different the regular JB. My Duncan Custom seemed to have more of mids emphasis and more compression than I liked for certain things, it's still was a killer pickup..
And that's what surprised me when researching this stuff.. The Jalen FW spec is based off a long-lost wind taken from a prototype version of the "JB".

Back when it was not a production pickup that was built from scratch, but a "winding spec" built from a donor humbuckers Seymour was doing for "celebrity" clients.

They're really nothing like a Duncan JB you can buy off Amazon or Sweetwater today.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

I should add, FWIW, when I'm doing VH1 with the SD SH-5 Custom, I have 500K volume, and no tone pot.

I do not have an ash body, but rather an alder body (so that body spec isn't exact).

I'm also using a Fender Am Std Strat 2 point trem with Callaham steel saddles, block and bar (so that's not exact).
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.