EP-Pre > SVDS Pre > JCM800 VH2 tone

lll
Middle Manager

Re: EP-Pre > SVDS Pre > JCM800 VH2 tone

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:52 am variac 89VAC
ep-pre > svds pre >jcm800 > pre rola G12 55hz > API 550 > Pultec EQ > H-910 (7% mix) > EMT 140 plate reverb

What's a "svds pre"?

quick listen take: sounds a little constipated and unnatural.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:54 am.. sounds a little constipated and unnatural.
That's what she said.

:lol:

I got really bad ear fatigue working on the tone and gear setup on that clip. When I listened to it again the next day I thought the same thing.. I was like, "What the fuck ?"

I wanted to try the Jalen FW pickup into the EP-pre into the Shaffer Vega Diversity System preamp pedal, into the JCM800 variac'ed down.

It just came out sounding shitty. I won't be doing that again. :D
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:02 am
lll wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:54 am.. sounds a little constipated and unnatural.
That's what she said.

:lol:

I got really bad ear fatigue working on the tone and gear setup on that clip. When I listened to it again the next day I thought the same thing.. I was like, "What the fuck ?"

I wanted to try the Jalen FW pickup into the EP-pre into the Shaffer Vega Diversity System preamp pedal, into the JCM800 variac'ed down.

It just came out sounding shitty. I won't be doing that again. :D
Ahh so that's what it is: the Schaeffer unit.

Even though Ed used one live, I doubt he used it in the studio when recording. There would be no reason to.

Besides that, VH2 is perceived as having *less* gain than VH1...
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:00 pm Ahh so that's what it is: the Schaeffer unit.

Even though Ed used one live, I doubt he used it in the studio when recording. There would be no reason to.
No one knows, or will probably ever know. :|

Angus Young used one in the studio for several AC/DC records. Ed is pictured with one in the studio for the VHII sessions.

Jim Gaustad has an actual SVDS unit, and he used it on his YouTube clips. Sounded pretty convincing.