Executive

Fools tone

Post by PLX »

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Fools tone

Post by harddriver »

IS this your real amp or an amp sim?

I thinks it's in the ballpark...the guitar tone sounds quite big, punchy still with some crunchy bite and fills the mix nice.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:03 am IS this your real amp or an amp sim?

I thinks it's in the ballpark...the guitar tone sounds quite big, punchy still with some crunchy bite and fills the mix nice.
A while back I took my 1964 Fender Princeton and turned it into a pre-amp.

I did a few clips with it back on TGP. It seemed to me to do the "VH thing" in a passable way.

I fired it up the other day and wound up recording some clips with it running into the front of my JCM800.

I'm actually getting some help from a fellow over at the Hoffman forum on modding it into a "Snorkler" pre-amp. :D
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:15 am
A while back I took my 1964 Fender Princeton and turned it into a pre-amp.

I did a few clips with it back on TGP. It seemed to me to do the "VH thing" in a passable way.

I fired it up the other day and wound up recording some clips with it running into the front of my JCM800.

I'm actually getting some help from a fellow over at the Hoffman forum on modding it into a "Snorkler" pre-amp. :D
Well... you heard those clips of Ossie's Bandmaster being reamped into the Marshall......It didn't suck. I still think it is 12301 into a Bandmaster in the studio for some reason. It could be the Bandmaster into 12301 on the first album for all we know. And then we come right back to Jim Gaustad nailing the tone with a single 68 plexi amp.................. :roll: :lol:

So this is modded Fender Princeton running into a load then reamped by the JCM800? Which input on the JCM800 are you using? The High or Low input?

Did you find some Snorkler specs somewhere? 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:23 am Well... you heard those clips of Ossie's Bandmaster being reamped into the Marshall......It didn't suck. I still think it is 12301 into a Bandmaster in the studio for some reason. It could be the Bandmaster into 12301 on the first album for all we know. And then we come right back to Jim Gaustad nailing the tone with a single 68 plexi amp.................. :roll: :lol:

So this is modded Fender Princeton running into a load then reamped by the JCM800? Which input on the JCM800 are you using? The High or Low input?

Did you find some Snorkler specs somewhere? 8-)
Yeah, you and me got the same idea there. :lol:

But instead of buying the right gear like you did, I'm lazy and just used what I had lying around.

I did away with the tremolo circuit in the Princeton, so that freed up a gain stage. I got some help back then from a couple of guys on TheAmpGarage.

Here are the changes I made:

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

That was a real Princeton at one time or a clone?

I thinks it sound killer. Most people would be hard pressed to say it wasn't a super crunchy Marshall....... 8-) ;)

The way a fender clanks, distorts and clips is distinctly Fender IMHO........... 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:43 am That was a real Princeton at one time or a clone?

I thinks it sound killer. Most people would be hard pressed to say it wasn't a super crunchy Marshall....... 8-) ;)
This was my first amp, bro. :lol:

People in the amp tech forums lost their shit when I told them that. :D

I parts it out prolly 25 years ago. Sold the cabinet on EBay for $$$. Sold the output transformer (the last original part) on Reverb last year for $$$. :lol:

Well, it sorta is.. in that it's a stock JCM800, but with a Fender driving the front end.

I truly believe Ed did this (or something similar) at some point.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

My first guitar amp was a fender Champ. It sucked donkey balls........ :lol: The I got a 1984 Solid state Marshall 5275 1x12. That was a killer amp. Then I found a 1979 2203 halfstack for $500 bucks in the tradin times paper. I still have it today........ ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:52 am My first guitar amp was a fender Champ. It sucked donkey balls........ :lol: The I got a 1984 Solid state Marshall 5275 1x12. That was a killer amp. Then I found a 1979 2203 halfstack for $500 bucks in the tradin times paper. I still have it today........ ;)
Man, my brother had a red tolex Fender Champ back in the 80's.. I loved that damned amp. Used to play it all the time.

My brother had a substance abuse problem, and he pawned that fucking amp, after I told him, "Dude, if you ever wanna sell this amp let me buy it !" :lol:

Here's how I solved the inevitable ground loop issues with running an amp into the input of another amp: