Outta Love Again - Van Halen II

PLX
Executive

Outta Love Again - Van Halen II

Post by PLX »

Last edited by PLX on Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Outta Love Again - Van Halen II

Post by lll »

Sounds good! However, being the uber audio stickler, if you're comparing this tone to the real track, the real one has less treble.

Also, I'm hearing what I believe to be the JB pickup again... telltale upper mids giving the overall tone more mids than the real track tone.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:25 am Sounds good! However, being the uber audio stickler, if you're comparing this tone to the real track, the real one has less treble.

Also, I'm hearing what I believe to be the JB pickup again... telltale upper mids giving the overall tone more mids than the real track tone.
Yep. It's the "Jalen Fair Warning" pickup here.

I actually boosted the mids because I thought it sounded better, but I think you're right about that track having the guitar track very dark.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:36 am Yep. It's the "Jalen Fair Warning" pickup here.

I actually boosted the mids because I thought it sounded better, but I think you're right about that track having the guitar track very dark.
It could theoretically even be Ed turning down the guitar volume knob a hair. The tone on the track doesn't sound full out blazing crunchy dimed Marshall.

Unless you have a treble bleed circuit, turning the volume knob down will darken the tone somewhat.

Still curious (from VH 1 standpoint) about that Super 70 pickup of yours collecting dust. :lol:
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:09 am It could theoretically even be Ed turning down the guitar volume knob a hair. The tone on the track doesn't sound full out blazing crunchy dimed Marshall.

Unless you have a treble bleed circuit, turning the volume knob down will darken the tone somewhat.

Still curious (from VH 1 standpoint) about that Super 70 pickup of yours collecting dust. :lol:
Ok, listened to all feedback from several sites..

Made changes to track:
:D Pulled down the 4kHz and the 8kHz I had boosted. Sounds more like the guitar tone of the album track now.. darker.
:D Re-tracked the solo
:D Pulled the guitar down in the mix

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14663469
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:19 pm
lll wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:09 am It could theoretically even be Ed turning down the guitar volume knob a hair. The tone on the track doesn't sound full out blazing crunchy dimed Marshall.

Ok, listened to all feedback from several sites..

Made changes to track:
:D Pulled down the 4kHz and the 8kHz I had boosted. Sounds more like the guitar tone of the album track now.. darker.
:D Re-tracked the solo
:D Pulled the guitar down in the mix

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14663469
Much improved - now you're in the ballpark and pretty close to the hot dog stand.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:07 pm Still curious (from VH 1 standpoint) about that Super 70 pickup of yours collecting dust. :lol:
I did record something last night with the Super70, but it ain't no VH.. :lol:

https://audius.co/GilFavor/jb