Another expedition into VH1....

PLX
Executive

Re: Another expedition into VH1....

Post by PLX »

I thought his tone (in the pickup swapping video) sounded more accurate with the Super 70.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:58 pm That Pul Tec is a pretty powerful tool......
This looks like a fun project..

http://www.recproaudio.com/diy_pro_audi ... _eqp1a.htm

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

That Pultec kit looks awesome, see we found your next project PLX! :lol: :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:26 pm What surprised me was how good the Gibson Burstbucker sounded but he was using the SUset sound plugins as well as the Pultec EQ in the final mix which to me is studio magic. His dry tone recorded by the Zoom and condensor mic was actually somewhat unimpressive IMHO but going through the Sunset sound plugins it did sound pretty spot on which confirms some studio magic of VH1.

Now I did think the Dimarzio SD had a more correct distortion fuzz/ratty quality and a more correct overall VH1 tone that the burstbucker did not have. I think he would be closer it he swapped a MM 1400 9K pickup in the Franky. I have to admit the Burstbucker sounded great and it did seem to get crunchier later in the video. But I still will maintain my assertion that there was a MM 1400/1300 for VH1 and the early subsequent tour show.
Pickups I have tried for the early VH thing:

Seymour Duncan '59
Seymour Duncan Custom Custom
Seymour Duncan Custom
Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Custom Hybrid (I made myself) 11.2KΩ
Dimarzio Super Distortion
High Order 8.9KΩ Asymmetric Wind
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:56 am
harddriver wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:26 pm Pickups I have tried for the early VH thing:

Seymour Duncan '59
Seymour Duncan Custom Custom
Seymour Duncan Custom
Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Custom Hybrid (I made myself) 11.2KΩ
Dimarzio Super Distortion
High Order 8.9KΩ Asymmetric Wind
Yep I've been through all those except the High Order, I hated the CC it was mushy almost muddy that's why I thought I didn't like A-2 magnets until I got the SD Model 78 around 2009/2010. I feel the custom has too much mid emphasis due to the overwinding. I prefer to use PAF output levels for quite some time now for Ed thing. The SD59 is Diver Down and 1984 in spades, it has almost single coil quality to it replicating the dying coil of Ed's PAF at that time but it's bright, think VH at the US83 festival kinda tone, almost cleanish gain.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:03 am Yep I've been through all those except the High Order, I hated the CC it was mushy almost muddy that's why I thought I didn't like A-2 magnets until I got the SD Model 78 around 2009/2010. I feel the custom has too much mid emphasis due to the overwinding. I prefer to use PAF output levels for quite some time now for Ed thing. The SD59 is Diver Down and 1984 in spades, it has almost single coil quality to it replicating the dying coil of Ed's PAF at that time but it's bright, think VH at the US83 festival kinda tone, almost cleanish gain.
I liked the 59/CustomCustom hybrid because it was the first time I'd played an asymmetric wind humbucker. It's fascinating because you get a single coil quality, but with the punch of a humbucker.

Jeff at HighOrder wound me the 8.9K asymmetric and I have stuck with that pickup ever since. It's just balanced much better than the hybrid, but it has all the good qualities from the hybrid.

I first tried it with an A5 magnet, but with the Floyd Rose it was just too bright sounding. I swapped the sustain block on the Floyd for a Big Brass Block® and swapped the magnet from A5 to A2 and that brought back all the warmth without losing any articulation or punch.