Executive

Anyone Remember This.. ?

Post by PLX »

:lol:

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Anyone Remember This.. ?

Post by harddriver »

Yes I do... that was Chris Merren's theory/explanation of why Ed always had two Variacs on the top of the amps in 1977/78. One to feed ACV to the main amp and the second to help lower the volume to the dry speaker cabinet.

Seemed like a plausible explanation as a way for Ed's to lower the volume some more while playing in the clubs and smaller venues IMHO. 8-)

Did you ever try it? it yields some very interesting results...the amp has a more out of control feel to it and the nature of the feedback seems a bit different but in a good way, kind of like the nature of the feedback characteristics that you hear on VH1 and WACF moreso.
Last edited by harddriver on Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:07 pm Yes I do... that was Chris Merren's theory/explanation of why Ed always had two Variacs on the top of the amps in 1977/78. One to feed ACV to the main amp and the second to help lower the volume to the dry speaker cabinet.

Seemed like a plausible explanation as a way for Ed's to lower the volume some more while playing in the clubs and smaller venues IMHO. 8-)

Did you ever try it? it yields some very interesting results...the amp has a more out of control feel to it and the nature of the feedback seems a bit different but in a good way, kind like what you hear on VH1 and WACF moreso.
I watched/listened to jnew from metroamp try this.

I wasn't impressed with the sound, but then he and Mike Cicciari recorded with a cell phone. :roll:

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

While I don't think it is a technique absolutely necessary to get a good Ed tone...if you are a curious Ed head you might find some interesting things regarding the process... there is a notable difference on how the amp behaves, at least that is my findings on it.

It was explained that as Ed started playing larger stages where he could have more volume he took it out of the equation.

I read something the other day and someone said Ed wore earplugs early on... did you ever read anything to that effect?

And now I can't remember where I read that at......damn :evil: :roll: :lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Wow... yeah that doesn't sound good at all in JNEW's video... it had that AM transitor radio quality to it, Blahhhh... :roll:

I can assure you done correctly it does not sound like that and I wouldn't be inclinded to blame the I phone recording either, if your amp can't sound good with an I phone or Zoom it won't sound good recorded with mics either IMHO. :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:47 pm While I don't think it is a technique absolutely necessary to get a good Ed tone...if you are a curious Ed head you might find some interesting things regarding the process... there is a notable difference on how the amp behaves, at least that is my findings on it.

It was explained that as Ed started playing larger stages where he could have more volume he took it out of the equation.

I read something the other day and someone said Ed wore earplugs early on... did you ever read anything to that effect?

And now I can't remember where I read that at......damn :evil: :roll: :lol:
The only quote I've ever read from Ed about stage volume was, "I like to feel the hair on my arms move, not the hair on my head."

:lol: